Grape vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
Will Cabernet or merlot grapes grow in northern West Virginia? I live about 90 miles south of Pittsburgh.

PCharles used to post some beautiful pics of Merlot and Cab being grown in Western NC. More than likely higher EL in the Smoky Mountains.

A lot also depends on the soil. Most states and/or unversities have organizations that can test your soil. Most can also advise on the best grapes that can grow at your elevation and siol conditions. I would look into having your soil tested.

Climate wise, and with excellent site selection, Cabernet Franc probably will, maybe Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot probably not. I'm in the eastern panhandle, and all three as well as many other vinifera are grown in the Shenandoah Valley area. The thing that would concern me the most about where you're at would be that you get a lot more rainfall on the west side of the mountains than we do on the east side, which could cause all kind of headaches with disease and ripening.

If I were a betting man, I'd stick to hybrids with good disease resistance, but you'll never know unless you try it. Another thing you could do is try to contact Forks of Cheat winery, I'm pretty sure they have their own vineyard and might be willing to share some info about what they've attempted to grow.

Thanks a lot roostertail, I will definitely check with them. What kind of hybrids would you try? My favorite wines are Cabernets, Zinfandels, Pinot noir, and malbecs.

Thanks a lot roostertail, I will definitely check with them. What kind of hybrids would you try? My favorite wines are Cabernets, Zinfandels, Pinot noir, and malbecs.

Of all those you list, Pinot Noir is probably your best shot. I know that this grape grows well just about everywhere (New York Fingerlakes, for example).

I still advise that you get your soil tested and base your decision on their findings.

If you like Pinot Noir you should look into Marquette. Cold hardy hybrid that taste a whole lot like Pinot Noir. Why worry about freezes and disease.

The number one hybrid in my area is Chambourcin, just about every commercial vineyard is growing it. As for other hybrid recommendations, others on the board are far more knowledgeable than I, but I've heard good things about Marquette, Frontenac, Baco Noir, Chancellor, etc.

Pinot Noir has a reputation for being very difficult to grow, if you're dead set on trying a Vinifera I'd say Cabernet Franc would be the best bet. It's similar to Cab Sauvignon but ripens earlier and is a little more cold hardy. Honestly though, I'd stick with hybrids, unless you just want to try a few vinifera to see if they'll survive/ripen

Where can I order the hybrid vines from or is there some place to go and purchase?

Go online to Double A Vineyards. Place your order early as they will sell out for next year. You will not be sorry.

Back