Grape Destemmer Funnel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relli1130

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a grape destemmer as pictured in my attachment. I purchased this used, and it is in fine working order. The person that I purchased this from had a funnel that he fabricated (or had fabricated at by a heating and air conditioning worker) to catch the crushed grapes and funnel them to a bucket.

In the past, I used to borrow a similar destemmer from a friend of a friend. He built a wooden stand that the destemmer would rest on. The stand also had a built-in funnel to catch and funnel the grapes into a bucket.

My question is:

1. What do you recommend? Should I build or fabricate a funnel to attach to the bottom of the destemmer?

2. If so, are there any recommendations in terms of where I can get one made?

3. Is this something I can purchase?

4. If this is a topic that has been covered previously, I apologize. I searched the forums, but couldn't find a similar topic.

Anyway, thanks for any and all input!

Relli1130

dmcsi.png

They do sell detemmer stands at some of the larger supply stores.

The store bought ones seem to "funnel" the gapes rather low to the ground. I like to save my back so I built one with my brother (from design to complete took about 4 hours, including a trip to lowes. Finished with food grade polyurethane).

I will supply pictures tomorrow.

8058.jpg

I think this is what you are looking for. They cost about $140-150. I don't know what you could have one fabricated for or if you could make one yourself. If you are handy and have some tin-snips and some galvanized sheet metal, you could probably put one together fairly easily.

Oooh, seems a little harsh. Did you two not get along? Does your brother mind being a destemmer stand? :)

LOL, When I reread my post, I noticed that it did not sound good!

We built a stand that is simply beautiful. We used douglas fir because it was strong and inexpensive. The whole stand was coated with 3 coats of EZ-DO (food grade polyurethane) so I felt it did not really matter what wood I used since it was never going to come in contact with the wine.

The stand is essentially a box with legs. Inside the box are two plates (stainless steel the my bro had laying around) that act as a funnel inside the box.

All told, it cost about $60 to build (finish included).

I will post pictures when I get the chance.

Thanks everyone.

I've been thinking of using saw horses. I would like to fabricate a funnel. This is the one I had in mind....

The seller that sold me the destemmer wants to keep this exact funnel. He gave me the dimensions:

he top view measures 33" x 12" The 33" includes a 1" lip on each side. Bottom is 12" x 6" The height of the funnel is 9"

Seems easy enough to fabricate. Tried contacting a local met fabrication shop and some HVAC companies. Also have a friend who installs windows that has access to a metal / aluminum break typically used to bend aluminum on window installation jobs.

I think I can get this done...thoughts?

DSCN2413.jpg

DSCN2414.jpg

DSCN2416.jpg

Also, what would be preferred metals to make this out of?

Probably stainless would be best. Are there alternatives?

Do you care that the joints won't be watertight? I guess for destemming, that is okay. To join stainless, your options include welding (quite difficult) or brazing (still pretty difficult). I suppose you could instead use a food-grade adhesive...

Watertight joints

I thought of that as well. But then I thought I could just use a silicone sealant on the seams (the outside seams). Or, I thought before I actually crimp/rivot the seams, I could hit the seams with a bead of silicone caulk. The excess would ooze out once crimped/riveted, and I could wipe the excess away. Either way, I don't think the silicone will hurt anything. If I make this out of aluminum (which is how it's looking now...), I'll have to line the funnel with a plastic bag anyway. I'm afraid the acid in the grapes will interact with the aluminum.

Latest posts

Back