grape/cider press finish

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cknfrmr

Junior
Reaction score
I made a press out of pine/oak. I was wondering if it should be sealed with some type of poly. or just left unfinished. Any suggestions that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Is that the same stuff they sell at drug stores or do I need to go to some place special?

I would NOT use oil. Instead, I would recomend a product call EZ-DO. It is a food safe poly.

Oil will not provide a good seal. Grape juice will still stain your press and eventually turn your press a nasty black. Also, I would not like to have any of that oil find it's way into my wine.

EZ-DO is almost a gel and a little goes a long way! A pint of it will do most jobs.

johnT.

JohnT said:
I would NOT use oil. Instead, I would recomend a product call EZ-DO. It is a food safe poly.

Oil will not provide a good seal. Grape juice will still stain your press and eventually turn your press a nasty black. Also, I would not like to have any of that oil find it's way into my wine.

EZ-DO is almost a gel and a little goes a long way! A pint of it will do most jobs.

johnT.

I used EZ-DO on my press, works great!

So did I.

A buddy milled new slats for me. I put on 3 coats (880 sanding in between) and they turned out GREAT! I made sure to lay it on rather thick on the cross-cut ends for each coat.

I did this 3 years ago. The slats still look as nice as the day I coated them!

Could not recommend this product any higher!

johnT.

Yup, Purchase it on line. I think I found some on Ebay.

Do not be shocked by the price. Simply pay it! It is well worth it!.

Back