Got questionable instructions for juice bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wine store told me to just leave it... "It should finish" :/....

I've wrapped put a heating pad near it to bump the temp up a couple degrees.

I think it will go down to .994 - .992 by the sounds of it, the yeast have been pretty happy so far.

I took another SG reading last night and it appears to be stuck at 0.996-0.997 :(. So I racked the wine and gave it a stir but did not add any k-meta. I feel like this isn't a low enough SG... There is pressure in the airlock so perhaps it will keep going? Or perhaps that is just CO2 degassing?

I recently had a couple of white juice buckets seemingly lock-up fermentation. Were not going past @1.02 for a couple of days. Hmmmm says I as I stir my buckets daily and usually have no problems with room temps in the 70's. So on advice I added some yeast nutrient and a little more of the winemakers best ingredient (patience) and eventually fermentation resumed and bottomed in the low .990's.. Give it a shot,,,, nothing to lose.

I recently had a couple of white juice buckets seemingly lock-up fermentation. Were not going past @1.02 for a couple of days. Hmmmm says I as I stir my buckets daily and usually have no problems with room temps in the 70's. So on advice I added some yeast nutrient and a little more of the winemakers best ingredient (patience) and eventually fermentation resumed and bottomed in the low .990's.. Give it a shot,,,, nothing to lose.

Do you mean yeast energizer? The sources I'm finding online saying you shouldnt add yeast nutrient this late.

My local wine store says the wine is done fermenting.... is 0.996-0.997 enough?

I would leave it alone for a few more days, you just might get it to go a little lower.

I would leave it alone for a few more days, you just might get it to go a little lower.

Ok I will leave it until next week in a nice balmy 73 degrees. Should I continue to stir it, or just let it sit?

How long can I let it sit before I should k-meta? I don't want it going bad.

Don't stir, snap the lid down and check it in 5 days, if there is no change in the reading, then rack off and add k-meta.

Don't stir, snap the lid down and check it in 5 days, if there is no change in the reading, then rack off and add k-meta.

I've already racked it. But I'll give it 5 days, and add some k-meta if the reading hasn't changed. There is lots of pressure in the air lock.

if by pressure in the air lock you mean activity then it is not done fermenting and you should see the sg continue to drop.

Pressure in the airlock could also mean it needs to be degassed, if you have already racked it there may not be enough yeast to get it to go lower, just wait the 5 days and if you see no difference in your readings then it is done.

Back