glasses from empty bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intoxicating

Reaction score
I recently met some one interested in making wine glasses and tumblers from old wine bottles. It got me thinking that that might be a novel thing to have. However, the hard part is making the cut edge of the glass safe. Sanding takes forever. The internet info says you can't just fire polish cut wine bottles without heating the rest of the glass in a kiln or something. If you try to just heat the edge with a torch the glass will crack. Is there anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that has enough knowledge and equipment to help me with polishing the cut edges of the glass? I can borrow a tile cutter to cut the bottles, when I find some one to help with the polishing.
Yes, I know it would be better to just fill the empty bottles with wine. I have more bottles than I can fill.

Another problem..
It will have NO stem. Wine glasses have stems so you hand does not warm up the wine

I don't see any problem drinking out of a glass with NO stem.

The Italians have been drinking wine out of glasses without a stem for about 200 years without any problems.

Ever go to a Macaroni Grill restaurant?

They drink out of these:

20100410_221911_zakvkba0026.jpg

Cut em, polish em, and pour it!
smiley32.gif

Now that looks like a water glass here in the states. LOL

Actually, you can cut the bottom off the bottle, just a half inch high for the foot of the glass, and then cut the bottle a few inches below the shoulders. Then turn the neck down, making it the stem, and fasten it to the foot,. You now have a stemmed glass. Depending on how tall you cut it, it might hold nearly half a bottle of wine!!!
smiley32.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley17.gif
But then you have to figure out how to attach the neck of the bottle to the base, and the sharp edges of the base have to be polished too.

Still need someone in the Dallas area to polish the cut edges.

Latest posts

Back