WineXpert Gewurtz kit suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love a SPICY and dry to off dry gewurtz and am looking for suggestions. I just bottled a WE Eclipse Gewurtz and It's way too sweet for my taste, and it is barely discernible as a Gewurtztraminer, at least to my wife and I.

Who makes a spicy Gewurtz kit? Anyone have a favorite?

Thanks in advance!

I love a SPICY and dry to off dry gewurtz and am looking for suggestions. I just bottled a WE Eclipse Gewurtz and It's way too sweet for my taste, and it is barely discernible as a Gewurtztraminer, at least to my wife and I.

Who makes a spicy Gewurtz kit? Anyone have a favorite?

Thanks in advance!
I haven't made the WE Eclipse G'wine, so no comparison available.

My favourite regular kit has been the Vineco KenRidge Showcase German Gewurztraminer (sweetness 2). It comes with a Suss-Reserve pack which I add to the primary instead of some of the water. This makes a dry wine so it is not sweetened after fermentation. Spicy? I'm not sure that I notice what I would call a spicy flavour in ANY G'wine.

I would like to try the Cellar Craft Showcase Yakima Valley Washington Gewürztraminer, but haven't yet. It shows as sweetness 1, so I might try it as intended. There is also a Cellar Craft Showcase Yakima Valley Washington Gewürztraminer Riesling (sweetness 2) that I would like to try.

Another G'wine that we really enjoyed was the Winexpert Selection Limited Edition 2008 New Zealand Gewurztraminer. Again, added the Suss Reserve to the primary.

Steve

try fermenting the white wine in a carboy using a paper towel bung. also keep the temperature down to the 65 or below range. this should keep the aromatics from blowing off and might give you the wine your seek.don't use the fpac at the end or add in the beginning as earlier posted.
the quality of the juice is important, the higher the price of the kit is usually a condition of quality.

I have made several Gurwurtz kits - WE selection, WE eclipse I have also made the RNJ Cru Platinum Riesling Traminer.

I have made all the kits dry, even though some of them have f-paks.

I think for spiciness - the WE selection takes the cake.

However, the eclipse kit is much smoother, but still somewhat spicy.

My favorite of the three is the Riesling Traminer, which comes with no f-pak. Very smooth drinking wine.

I got in secondary the Cellar Craft Showcase Gurwurtz Riesling and still in the box Cellar Craft Showcase Gurwurtz. Both of these I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

I have not made any kits in a long time but possibly you could blend a dry Riesling in with it to get back some of what you're looking for.

another thought, use a yeast that will help with the aromatics rather than the one that comes with the kit.

Agreed, specially if you are going to ferment cooler than spec. I would suggest using the ICV D47 yeast.

Latest posts

Back