RJ Spagnols Gevurztraminer Elderflower Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slopenutz

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of Cru Select going and the directions don't seem to directly mention the elderflower bags. I put them in the primary and they are puffed up and floating. I tried poking a several holes in each bag but a few hours later they are puffed and floating again. Is it neccesary to punch them down daily to avoid any nasties(like a grape pack) or are they fine just floating throughout the fermentation? I was also wondering if they should be pressed prior to racking to the carboy or if that would add unwanted bitterness.

I have only done one kit with the elder flowers and I emptied them into a mesh bag (like cheese cloth). I punched them down everyday but did not squeeze them when racking over to secondary.

Thanks for the feedback Runningwolf. Just to be on the safe side, I have been punching them down daily. Just wasn't 100% sure on the pressing at racking part of the equation. I guess I will just drain them and not press.

Back