Getting Started?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdhunter

Junior
Reaction score
My wife and I enjoy tasting wine and we are looking for a hobby we can do together. We are thinking and researching the possibilities of getting started at home.

Now, my fear is our "home brew" wines may not have the taste (especially when just starting) we are used to enjoying from store bought wines. We have tried several local home brewers and the taste is not all that good.

So, before I invest into this hobby I would like to know if you feel we can successfully make drinkable wines at home? We are not afraid to invest plenty of money to make the best possible.......weather it be a kit or fresh ingredients.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the fourm hdhunter! You will find plenty of friendly advice here. There is always going to be some variation in homemade wines. The possibilities are almost endless. I certainly feel you can make some very drinkable wines at home. Some of them you will find will be VERY GOOD. If you get the better kits and are willing to let them age properly, you should be happy with the results. I'm sure others will chime in here with additional help. Give George a call and he can help you with everything from kit essentials to specific kits his customers like. Click on the yellow box at the top of the page to go to the FVW homepage and you can get his number there. Again Welcome.

Welcome hdhunter,

In addition to what appleman posted I would like to add this info I found recently which should prove that folks likemost of us here are very happy with the wine we can make ourselves with wine kits.

The Roots of Custom Wine Making

I got great feedback by Tim Vandergrift of Winexpert Ltd, another supplier of custom wine making in Canada. Mr. Vandergrift mentioned that by reading the blog, he thought "Well, mass customization is exactly what we are doing for years" and was so kind to explain me the process of modularizing wine and condifuring at the point of sales:
<BLOCKQUOTE>"The consumer winemaking industry centres around a number of Canadian firms, and relies heavily on the mass customization paradigm. To give some background, the consumer-produced wine industry represents 20% of all wine consumed in Canada, both domestic and imported, and represents in excess of $300 million CAD at retail. Two provinces, British Columbia and Ontario, allow ‘Wine On Premise’, essentially personal wineries where customers may purchase a wine ‘kit’ (unfermented must, the raw material for wine) and contract for the production of small batches (typically 23 liters or roughly 30 bottles). The rest of the country has consumers purchasing the product and removing it to their homes for fermenting and processing.

Our company, Winexpert, produces wine kits equivalent to over 25 million bottles of finished wine every year. Where our mass customization comes in is in both the extent and variety of the product lines, the consumer packaging options (bottles, labels, capsules, etc.) and the value-added services and goods offered—wine related hardware and service items, custom barrel ageing, cellar planning, etc.

Customers begin their process by choosing the kind of wine experience they want by selecting the type of wine they wish to consume: we have five different value levels of kits, which lets the consumer choose not only the cost per bottle of their batch, but also the ageing curve: value-priced kits drink well relatively young but do not offer significant long-term ageing potential, while higher-end kits are less rewarding to drink immediately, but reward ageing with higher quality.

Because we source raw materials from wine regions all over the globe, we can offer French, California, Chilean, South African, Australian, etc, versions of the same varietal (i.e., the customer can choose between a muscular, fruit-forward Australian Cabernet Sauvignon, or the leaner, more elegant and structured French Cabernet) or even single-vineyard designated wines, such as Stag’s Leap Vineyard Napa Valley Merlot.

Outside of the ability to choose from over 70 different products in our line, the customer is able to choose a wide variety of packaging options, bottles come in different size, shape and color variations, there are thousands of pre-printed labels available, as well as partially printed stock labels that allow for either in-store overprinting of custom images and text, or at-home use. Bottles and labels are complimented by matching (or contrasting) capsules to finish the look of the package. This integrates a personalization element into our customization effort."</BLOCKQUOTE>

Edited by: masta

hdhunter, I'm a full bodied red wine drinker. I started out purchasing a lower priced red wine kit, in the price range of 60 bucks( not knowing if I'd really like to do start this hobby). Wasn't really pleased withthe taste, (bitter),but enjoyed the making of it (I'm not saying the wine wasn't good, it was just to tart for me, others I have noticed on this forum really like it) . My children purchased me a sweeter red wine. I'm not much into the sweet wines either, but enjoyed the making of it. I found out that by blending the two wines together, made a very nice table wine.
I purchased a more expensive wine and it was really good, and from then on, I've been hooked. Right now my favorite is the Amarone wines. (In which on this forum someonewent to purchase a bottle of Amarone and said it ranged from around $65-$75 a bottle). Ican't afford to purchase one bottle for that price!I havejust bottled one batch of Amarone and have another one in the 1st stage of fermentation.

But I must warn you! Like everyone has warned me! "It's addictive!"I love to do this!You go from making the kits, to making yourown from scratch, adding what you like, more oak, less oak, different kinds of oak, vanilla, making your own personal labels, Making your wine cellar/ and or wine racks, to even thinking about or growing your own grapes. You make it how you want. A person will never know if you don't try! Me! I tried, and I love it. Not only that, you have so many new friends "Here" on this forum to help you out, you just can't go wrong! And with George, you'll never find anyone better to do business with.
Good Luck!
Janet

Great responses so far!!

My fear is all home wines are bitter (because that has been my experience with tasting them......yet I doubt any were from a kit). It appears a fairly expensive kit will be the best place to start......especially since I am looking for decent results right away.

I have no hobbies with the wife.....so I am excited at the possibilities!!!

Just curious on what type of wine and who made it that was always bitter and was it a broad range of people from different parts of the country?
Having the proper equipment and using the correct techniques are also key to making good wine beside the ingredients.

Welcome hdhunter, I can tell you that everyone hasd their own opinion but as a wine maker I can tell you you that I like alot of my wines and have not liked only 2. I have a friend that makes grape wine from scratch and I thought it was very bitter also. I can say each kit that Ive tasted was much better but I wont tell my friend that. I have also tried some of the scratch grape wines from these forum members and they were very good so it just goes to show you everyone has different tastes. Remember that when you are making your wines, you can customize with more or less Oak, sweeten it up a little, do blends, etc.

Welcome hdhunter.Wine makingis a hobby you will immensly enjoy, very addictive and brings out the "mad scientiest" in most of us.

Welcome...hope you stay awhile and share your knowledge, experience, questions and suggestions with us.

The right equipment, the right produce [kits-fruit, etc], the right recipes...= equal =...pretty good wines.

Find some good recipes, get some good fruit, keep records and enjoy the process....then enjoy the wine...then share the experience with us.

hdhunter, I'm new at wine making, but I do love a nice smooth full bodied wine. I have also learned from this forum, to let your wine "breath". To me it makes a world of difference, and as far as that bite or bitter taste, not in the more expensive wines. I would really like to try a Port, but am afraid it may be to sweet for me. I like the Cabernet, Shiraz wines when I purchase one at the stores. The Amarone wine I bottled two weeks ago, I'm sure Iwill have to purchase another kit. For this one isn't going to last me long. It is even suppose to get better in two and three years, but not at my house, it won't last that long.
Janet

Ibottled my first wine yesterday 1 gallon of pear that I almost put in the drain it tasted so bad when I racked it off into a gallon jug I sampled it
and said it tasted like snake pee, all that thanged it 6 mo.
I got 4 bottles of great wine with great color. I am a ferm beliver in ageing.

Bill, I made an apple/grape wine, 1 gallon, and at bottling time it was terrible thinking to dump it also down the drain!
smiley11.gif
I have it on the wine rack aging and hoping it may age gracefully and become a nice wine also or rat poison.
smiley34.gif
Time will tell!

My pear was horrible in the beginning to. This was my first scratch wine and was a 6 gallon batch from cans of pears in heavy syrup. I didnt want to give up on it because it was 6 gallons so left it for a long time. It turned out to be 1 of my best wines and I will be making another batch this year as I only have 2 bottles left!
smiley3.gif

I would highly recommend that you just start with higher end kits. If you're not afraid to spend the money then get the best kits you can. Aging wines can really make the difference, just like the commercial wines.
My husband and I enjoy the hobby together. To me it's a hobby
smiley4.gif
, to Bert it's an obsession.
smiley5.gif
It's fun to pick out kits together, plot and plan what to make next, and of course the best part is the tasting. We're to the point that I ask if I can make a wine, as I don't want to interfer in his grand scheme of wine making.
smiley36.gif

Well, it looks like we are going to jump into it head first and see what we can do!!

Now I need some equipment.........
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif

Thanks for all the help!!Edited by: hdhunter

hdhunter said:
Well, it looks like we are going to jump into it head first and see what we can do!!

Now I need some equipment.........
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif

Thanks for all the help!!
Call George! He'll get you going! And geta floor corker! If you upgrade on anything, get a floor corker!

I concur, Ill be getting one very soon as I wish I just got one from the start!

hdhunter,

If I had to guess as to why your friend's wine was bitter, I would guess that he/she had not properly aged the kit! I made a low-end Vieux Chateau Du Roi (A Chateauneuf du Pape Clone) and I tried it at bottling and was very disappointed! I tried another bottle at 3 months and was ashamed that I had made it. I just tried my third bottle at 6 months and I must say that it is starting to come around. Age is a wonderful thing when it comes to wine. Patience is a winemaker's best friend!

Welcome to the forum!

Latest posts

Back