Garden planning Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ground Cherries are an annual although will come back from previous year's seeds sometimes. The more important thing to note is how many warm days you have. Shorter growing season smaller harvest. But for a few dollars for a pack of seeds, might be worth a try.

I'm in zone 5A and we had ground cherries when I was young. Used solely for pies but was a favorite of ours. Since our canning shelves are stocked pretty well still, we plan to buy some seeds and give a ground cherry wine and pie a try. And yes, it was @BigDaveK who grew them.

For more ideas, you might look at a couple of books like "Mary's Recipes" or Jack Keller's book on Country Wines. That would give you many ideas to pick from.
Good luck
I’ve never had ground cherries. But now I want to try the pie. Can they be grown vertically on a fence perhaps? I want to try them but not sure I’ll have room without sacrificing something else.

I will likely have beets to try as well. But I might have to freeze or store them for a bit first. Especially if I get some imported wine grapes this fall.

I’ve never had ground cherries. But now I want to try the pie. Can they be grown vertically on a fence perhaps? I want to try them but not sure I’ll have room without sacrificing something else.

I will likely have beets to try as well. But I might have to freeze or store them for a bit first. Especially if I get some imported wine grapes this fall.
They aren't suited to growing vertically, they end up more like small shrubs, but you could absolutely grow one in a container!

I made a carrot wine once. It was very good while still in primary. Not like carrot, just a nice dry white.

I juiced the carrots. Is this what most people would suggest? Is adding a pulp bag back of any possible benefit?

I'm listing mostly so I can come to jog my memory, but in my garden my prospective wines are;

Carrot
Beet
Raspberry
Rhubarb
Strawberry
Tomato
Cucumber

I might try melons if permitted the space

Has anyone ever heard of Chaga wine? It's not in the garden, but there is lots on the property

I made a carrot wine once. It was very good while still in primary. Not like carrot, just a nice dry white.

I juiced the carrots. Is this what most people would suggest? Is adding a pulp bag back of any possible benefit?
Yes, carrot wine is on my list for this year, too!
As with recipes for other wines, there are so many ways to prep and use the carrots. We just need to pick one! If I were making it today I would shred and use a bag. That may or may not change when the time comes.

This year I'm growing Black Nebula from Baker Creek. Sweet and dark dark purple. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As with recipes for other wines, there are so many ways to prep and use the carrots. We just need to pick one! If I were making it today I would shred and use a bag. That may or may not change when the time comes.

This year I'm growing Black Nebula from Baker Creek. Sweet and dark dark purple. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Black carrots would likely make a nice color. Apparently they don’t taste like carrots. Might be like the difference between carrots and parsnips. Can anyone describe the taste or compare it to something?

Interesting I never thought of using the colored varieties. That would be fun

Black carrots would likely make a nice color. Apparently they don’t taste like carrots. Might be like the difference between carrots and parsnips. Can anyone describe the taste or compare it to something?
I've led a sheltered life - I have no idea what parsnips taste like.

I've led a sheltered life - I have no idea what parsnips taste like.
They are really good sliced and fried. Not as good boiled. But they are best in a frost zone. You don't dig them until after a hard frost. Or even in spring. The frost sweetens them.

They are really good sliced and fried. Not as good boiled. But they are best in a frost zone. You don't dig them until after a hard frost. Or even in spring. The frost sweetens them.
I slice them the long way and roast them in oven. Going to try the air fryer this year. I had a few manage to survive the unusual heat this spring, not really any frost it’s year, and it was coldest when they were small. So probably not sweet. Roasted parsnips and roasted carrots together are a nice side dish. I’m not sure why you would make parsnip wine other than you had an abundance of parsnips.

@hawkwing Tomato wine has been described as similar to a chardonnay, and mine has a slight aftertaste that you can recognize as tomato if you know that's what the wine is made from, but otherwise leaves people guessing.

I am really enjoying what I made last year and plan to double or triple my tomato plants to get enough for a bigger batch.

@hawkwing Tomato wine has been described as similar to a chardonnay, and mine has a slight aftertaste that you can recognize as tomato if you know that's what the wine is made from, but otherwise leaves people guessing.

I am really enjoying what I made last year and plan to double or triple my tomato plants to get enough for a bigger batch.

I completely agree!! My experimental tomato wine blew me away. Now I'm wondering if I should continue the experiment this year. Should I make a big mixed batch or have smaller varietal batches?

Latest posts

Back