RJ Spagnols fruit purees in kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLeroy

Reaction score
Has anyone put any of the fruit purees that George sells into a OB kit or other low end kit. I was wondering if this would give it more body and if it was worth the effort? Would you just add it to the primary and follow the instructions from there? My wife likes the OB blackberry merlot and I wouldlike to try to make it better with blackbery puree? Any thoughts.

Sounds like a good experiment! You will be voiding the warranty, but it might work! You will of course get a much higher alcohol content from the extra sugars, which will change its early drinkability in my opinion. But potentially you will make a much richer wine with bigger mouthfeel.

LittleLeroy:

Neat idea. Wish I had access to some of those purees (might be able to get some later this month when I visit the USA).

Steve

That could work, But you might be better off making the kit then making the 1 gallon puree and blending to taste.

well I bought the blackberry merlot OB kit and a can of the blackberry puree. I was thinking of adding in the blackberry to sweeten the wine instead of the F pack. But the blackberry puree was not very sweet at all. So I started the primary and in went the puree. it only added .05 to the SG. So I added some sugar water to get it to a SG of 1.085. It is bubbling like crazy now. Sorry I forgot to take pictures. but I did taste it before pitching the yeast, it did taste good. I will let you know how it comes out.

Well thats different, I would have thought you would have just bought a W.E. Vintners Reserve or something to that idea instead of a Island Mist.

My wife really liked the OB Blackberry merlot i made a few months back. So I wanted to make it again and see if I could make it better. If this does not work out I will go back to making the kits with out adding anything. Only time will tell.

Latest posts

Back