Fruit fly infestation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
Ever since I started making my own wine ,about 8 months or so ago .I noticed little tiny flys all over the place . Well not all over really but the odd one comes around and anoys me when I eating or something .I'm wondering if they can be the fruit flys mentioned here. The time they showed up was when I picked a bunch of apples off my tree and crabapples too, and fermented them. That was about september . They still are here despite me spaying the whole house with raid bug killer .
Any advise ?

Thanks , I think there are some old rags I wiped some must up with still in a pail down there .. That is a good place to breed.

Fruit flies seen to be the worst in late summer when we are all bringing loads of fresh produce home from local farmers markets. Your home picked apples would fall into this category.

Fill a small dish (or multiple dishes) with 1/2 and 1/2 balsamic vinegar and red wine. Cover it with saran wrap. Poke the top with 3-4 small holes using a paring knife. The flies will find there way in and eventually die.

Another possible source for a breeding area would be in a bag of potatoes. If even one potato has started to rot this will give them a good food source.
Also look around your blue box to see if there are any present. They are attracted to the sweet surgery residue left in containers of pop or juice. If you see any there, put the blue box outside and show them what a Calgary winter feels like.

Latest posts

Back