Frozon Must 2500 lbs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, too bad you had to destroy that $300 tote by cutting the top off of it, but at least you have a new fermenter for in the future.

Our Zin has stuck fermentation at 1.018. Saturday we put in yeast husks. Then Sun we pitched fermin-K and BM45 the yeast. Yesterday still stuck. But it has been bubbling temp is 80-82. So I drew off 1 gallon added more Fermen-K left the lid of the gallon jug off and will see if it moves.

O2 + YAN. The temperature is high. Get it below 80. Get an O2 line to a fish tank aerator stone going and stop pitching fermaid. Add some YAN and then don't mess with it till a wiff knocks you back. Then wait another 12 hours before you resume pump over or punch down. Less is best and patience is a winemaker's greatest virtue. You've missed the mark on both.

O2 + YAN. The temperature is high. Get it below 80. Get an O2 line to a fish tank aerator stone going and stop pitching fermaid. Add some YAN and then don't mess with it till a wiff knocks you back. Then wait another 12 hours before you resume pump over or punch down. Less is best and patience is a winemaker's greatest virtue. You've missed the mark on both.

Agree with the YAN, but why do you advise to add O2 at this stage? Unless I am wrong, O2 is usually added at the beginning of fermentation during lag phase and aids in yeast reproduction. Assuming that he already has a large population of yeast, what does the O2 do to "unstick" the fermentation?

Another question is why lower the temp? If he has a stuck fermentation, would maintaining a high temp be the course of action to reinvigorate yeast? wouldn't lowering the temp also lower the yeast's metabolism? I see that the optimum temp for the yeast he is using is between 64 and 82 degrees. Wouldn't his temp be fine right where it is?

Note: I hope I do not come across as overly critical of your advice. I very well could be wrong on my understanding. I just figured that I would ask you to expand a little.. Thanks.

We took off the top and put a bubbler in Thur afternoon. Late yesterday the SG dropped to 1.017 so it moved. I talked to the place we get our yeast and they said to try this too.
Stiring the lees also.

The fermentation is still in primary so Os are recommended +YAN. High temp will aid extraction but can also result in a premature cessation of fermentation and residual sugar. A lower temp and extended fermentation will yield a less astringent wine. A cold soak is the preferred approach as a method of extraction.
A high temperature fermentation is a paradox. Better extraction at the risk of premature cessation of fermentation. A common practice of Finger Lakes vintners is to primary outdoors to allow cool Fall ambient temperatures to prevent a "runaway" fermentation. The SG on this one was likely too high at the start. Amelioration should have been done but that's back seat coaching. At this point the best approach is to feed the yeast with YAN and O2, exercise restraint and patience and consider MLF if the malic acid levels persist.
Post secondary fermentation is going to be a risk so stabilization will be critical after aging. Barellmill spirals in Flextank vats would be my recommendation with a min 8 months at normal cellar temp.

We took off the top and put a bubbler in Thur afternoon. Late yesterday the SG dropped to 1.017 so it moved. I talked to the place we get our yeast and they said to try this too.

Stiring the lees also.

At the WineMakers Conference and during a yeast presentation from White Labs They covered stuck fermentation.... They did not recommend oxygen at this stage.... Too high of a risk oxidation....

Regydrate a new batch of yeast with full introduction to must and re pitch. Make sure must temp is in range.

I must be a hog. I'm doing 2 - 60 gal drums per year with SP , some fruit wines and a kit here or there.

Latest posts

Back