Frozen or canned friut

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben485

Junior
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a cherry wine, and the two options I have for fruit are frozen at Costco, or canned vinter's harvest friut bases. Can you guys give me pros and cons to both, and what you would use? Thanks!

I haven't made the cherry VH before, but the others I've used or tasted from someone else have all turned out good.
I've made a cherry using frozen cherries from GFS and it turned out very good, so I don't think you could go too wrong either way.

I suppose the pros for the VH are that the instructions are there on the can, so you'll have some guidance, although I still measure everything when making these as well. When I made the black currant from VH, I found their additions for acid to be off.

either way you go you will need a recipe to guild you along untill you learn enough about wine making that you will be able to just go out and get the fruit and do it from scratch so don't be afraid to ask more question someone on the forum will be able to help you along and if your not sure about something ask before you do it to make sure you do it right I am talking from experience this forum has help me a lot I've only been doing it for one year now
jtstar

Ben, I have made numerous wines from frozen fruit from GFS here. They are all 5 pound bags and are great. I just bought, while food shopping for Christmas, 5 bags of the Tropical blend fruit for a 5 gal. batch. It was on sale, I couldn't pass it up.

I figure if the fruit is under $10.00 a bag then that's a good deal other wise I could make a Merlot for that.

I use less sulfite at startup since the fruit is frozen. If you can't start now it can sit in your freezer for awhile. Easy to mix fruits etc. It's great. All ferment well.

I'm off to add the yeast right now.

Gordon's food supply or service. They have stores through out that are open to the public without buying a membership. They supply a lot of restaurants and bars with food and supplies.

Gordon Food Service. Sililar to a Sam's Club.

You can purchase foods in a semi bulk without a mambership. Much of our Christmas dinner items are from there. Excellent prices, many way under grocery stores.

Latest posts

Back