Fresh juice question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwand

Reaction score
Since the summer I now have my first four Eclipse kits bulk aging. These were my first attempts at wine making. As we all know kits contained everything I needed. It was a semi thoughtless process. This weekend I pick up 6 gallons of fresh Montepulciano juice. For the first time I have picked out the yeast strain by myself. I can measure ph, TA and S02 and adjust as needed. My big fear is a stalled fermentation. What should I have in hand if this occurs? Thanks.

Have some nutrient on hand, and a way to warm up your wine. If you stall out, one or both of those should get it going. A spare packet of yeast might help in a real emergency.

Did you buy from Harford? My friend picked up my Valpo for me this afternoon. I'm going to get it in the morning and pitch.

Last edited:
Have some nutrient on hand, and a way to warm up your wine. If you stall out, one or both of those should get it going. A spare packet of yeast might help in a real emergency.

Did you buy from Harford? My friend picked up my Valpo for me this afternoon. I'm going to get it in the morning and pitch.

Thanks for input. Yes. I ordered from Harford and will pick up tomorrow. What yeast are you planning on using?

I'm using BM4X4. And about 1.5 lbs of raisins. I want a "Ripasso Style" Valpolicella.

I'm using BM4X4. And about 1.5 lbs of raisins. I want a "Ripasso Style" Valpolicella.

Good luck making your wine. It should be great. How long do you think it will take for juice to approach room temperature to start fermentation?

A couple hours, to 24 hours. :)

Boatboy. How is your fermentation going. I picked up my montepulciano juice today from Harford. Do you recommend I use RC 212 or Pasteur red star? Gwand.

I'm not too familiar with Pasteur Red. But based on my brief research, I think I would go with the RC 212.

Mine started slow, but is running full throttle now. It smells awesome. I added 12oz of raisins and some Opti Red to Primary. I will likely use raisins again in secondary, along with some tannin powder.

Are you going to conduct MLF in the secondary or skip that step.

No need to rack before pitching MLB, it will use the lees as a nutrient.

Thanks Mr. P. Do I have to bring MLF culture to room temperature before pitching to intitate MLF? Right now it is in my frig. gwand

Thanks Mr. P. Do I have to bring MLF culture to room temperature before pitching to intitate MLF? Right now it is in my frig. gwand

I would. I've never used it before though. The folks at Harford said they went to the liquid because it's better than the stuff they used to sell (Bacchus). I've ordered some VP41 as a backup.

I would. I've never used it before though. The folks at Harford said they went to the liquid because it's better than the stuff they used to sell (Bacchus). I've ordered some VP41 as a backup.

Are you going to use chromotography to check for MLF success or use the Accuvin assay or neither?

yes, take it out of the frig and let it get to room temp, don't worry if MLF takes a month or two, it is perfectly normal.

Can you use Malolactic culture and raisins once the must is transferred to the secondary? How long should you wait before transferring again?

I know this is a late reply, but I wouldn't use raisins in the secondary (or primary for that matter), they will add unwanted sugar to the wine and start up the alcoholic fermentation again, possible stressing out yeast that is already tired and/or mostly dead, if the extra nutrient (sugar) provided by the raisins isn't consumed by the yeast, it could end up being a nutrient for spoilage organisms..... further more, they are oxidized and not even a wine grape, I use to add raisins to the primary when I made my first batches of DB, but once I realized that the off flavor was the raisins, I stopped.

If you use nutrients and make a nice yeast starter there should be no stalled ferments, providing the juice PH and sugar levels are normal.
Stirring the must everyday helps too.

Back