Fresh grapes is the best way to go

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's how I do it, about 500 lbs worth of zin, grenache, petite syrah, and some viognier. Clean feet are a plus!

Paul

This is what happens when my niece shows up late on crush day. Had her scrub her feet with soap/water, then had her plunge them into a k-meta bath.

Had a chance to taste the wine a number of weeks ago. It is quite nice.

Wow, what a coincidence, John. My niece also came to my place to crush grapes. I guess we had too much for her and she got a little behind in her work.

brande+roderick+grapes9.jpg

Wow, what a coincidence, John. My niece also came to my place to crush grapes. I guess we had too much for her and she got a little behind in her work.

brande+roderick+grapes9.jpg

:O

Let's see the French make wine with a better body than that! (LOL).

Last edited:
lol now I remember what I was gonna post..

the redneck press is always an option
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r2g8avlPmI[/ame]

Rocky I hear you and somewhat agree.

Years ago, wine kits were not nearly what they are today. Joeswine sent me a bottle of his San Gio, and I was floored! I simply could not believe that kits have come this far.

I also agree with you that kits are perfect for those without the space, time, or money for equipment. It must be nice to make wine whenever you want. I smile knowing that after I retire, I can still make kits (even if I am living in a condo).

But I am in not hurry.. I plan on being a die-hard grape-smasher.

The reasons are varied and simple...

Although I had to purchase additional equipment (press and crusher-destemmer), the price per bottle of wine produced is cheaper in the long run. I can produce a wine that is solid gold (IHMO) for about $3.50 per bottle. Most of my equipment is 20 years or older and have more than paid for themselves.

Additionally, the grape crush is an event that my friends and family look forward to. Once a year, I have folks coming from as far as floida, Georgia, and Virginia just to attend and take part of a vintage.

As far as timing, I agree it does add a little more pressure, but this is not as bad for me as you might think. I monitor the harvest and usually can set a date for crush about 3 weeks prior to the event. This give plenty of time for set-up and also for folks to make travel arrangements. I find that my taking 3 days off from work allows more than enough time to git er done.

The crush party itself is a time that I really enjoy. After all the work is done (crushing) and all is straightened up, we all gather for food, and singing, and also to pull a cork or two. I would truly miss these times.

Finally, I simply love it. I mean I love everything about crush and press. From sorting the grapes, to crushing, to pressing, I just love the whole process.

Years later, when I get together with any of the folks that helped out, and pull a bottle from that year, we remember the good times and rejoice over how well the wine turned out.

For me, and my situation, being a grape-smasher is well worth it. I would not doubt that I might convert to being a kit-master in future though.

John,
Awesome story and it's exactly the kind of tradition I hope to establish this fall when we have our first 'real' harvest of our own grapes.
occasion14.gif

Latest posts

Back