Fresh grapes vs transported grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting one that I’d love to hear your opinions on:

I live on Long Island and I typically buy my grapes in Brooklyn where they import them from Cali. So from the time it’s harvested to the time I crush could be a few days I would assume. However, I recently found some places that are growing Cabernet on Long Island. Though, Long Island doesn’t necessarily have a reputation for creating stellar wines. So what would you think would produce a better wine, grapes from California that are a few days in cold storage or fresh grapes from Long Island that can be crushed day of harvest? (I realize “grown in Cali” is very vague but assume it’s a decent region)

IMHO, the wines will be different, not necessarily one "better" than the other.

Are the grapes from LI Cabernet Franc? (I think I have seen more Franc than Sauv. from LI, I assume due to the earlier ripening of Franc.) I love me some North Fork Cab Franc. I even enjoy a hint of the bell-pepper flavor common there. But it is not the lush, plush, high-ABV wine you might get from Cali. I like 'em both!

I also live on long island and was thinking the same thing. I have seen listings on the Cornell NY grapes and wine classifieds NY Grape & Wine Classifieds. Where are you sourcing grapes from? My question is will the vineyards sell in small quantities (I only make 3-4 lugs per year)? I made cab franc from California last year but the lugs I received must have been sitting for a while since they were moldy and very ripe. This year I plan on doing zinfandel/syrah blend from Cali but would consider long island grapes next year

Cab franc does well here from what I read, also have had a few good bottles. Lieb cellars makes a good one as well as other interesting varietials.

Cab from Long Island will not be like California cab. I expect a vegetal flavor from those grapes, but some people really like that style. I have had cab sauv from Virginia and it was good but I was shocked by how much effort went into getting those grapes ripe.

I also live on long island and was thinking the same thing. I have seen listings on the Cornell NY grapes and wine classifieds NY Grape & Wine Classifieds. Where are you sourcing grapes from? My question is will the vineyards sell in small quantities (I only make 3-4 lugs per year)? I made cab franc from California last year but the lugs I received must have been sitting for a while since they were moldy and very ripe. This year I plan on doing zinfandel/syrah blend from Cali but would consider long island grapes next year

Cab franc does well here from what I read, also have had a few good bottles. Lieb cellars makes a good one as well as other interesting varietials.
FYI I’m referring to Cabernet Sauvignon. First place that responded to me was North Fork Vineyard which said 5 dollars a pound under 200 pounds. Talk about sticker shock! I clarified that I would need about 250 pounds so asked for the revised price but haven’t heard back. Can’t imagine even then that it will be where I am expecting to pay.

I get mine from TPS wine grapes at Brooklyn Terminal Market. They run I believe 50ish dollars a case.

Cab from Long Island will not be like California cab. I expect a vegetal flavor from those grapes, but some people really like that style. I have had cab sauv from Virginia and it was good but I was shocked by how much effort went into getting those grapes ripe.
This is kinda where my head is going. Low time to crush is a nice to have, but quality grapes are more important.

if you went with frozen grape buckets, 5 buckets would get you to 250 lbs or so and the price would be about $2.50/lb. for Cab Sauv
and the quality of frozen will be better than shipped moldy grapes too, but then what would you do with your destemmer?

I got mine from TPS grapes last year as well but didn't pick them up in Brooklyn, they will ship to iavronne brothers in wantagh, so I was unable to inspect the grapes prior to purchase. This year I may go to Brooklyn, or another place, run by the same family in deer park. What other vineyards have you contacted and how did you find them? I'd like to try long island grapes one year but not at the prices you were quoted.

I'm on the Island as well. I looked into sourcing North Fork fruit 20 years ago with no luck. Prices were high then compared to the Cali Central Valley fruit I would buy in Brooklyn Terminal Market. I found Musto Wine Grapes in CT & never looked back.. They ship to the Bronx, which isn't as convenient as Brooklyn. Quality is night & day.

I'm a firm believer in great wine is made in the vineyard. If you start with a good product, like anything else, you have an advantage.

I made decent wine from CV grapes. It got to the point where no matter what technique I applied to CV grapes, my wine was pretty much ordinary.

Their fruit labeled Lanza/Musto from Suisun Valley has become my go to fruit for the past 10 years. The quality of my wine has improved substantially. It is expensive compared to CV fruit, but well worth it IMHO.

Might I suggest a half way process. Buy a lug or two of the quality California grapes and ferment juice buckets on the quality grape skins. ,,, OR Just buy skin packs and ferment in a bag like kits do.

Mold is a risk but one should easily get a week shelf life if the temperature is under 40F. Grapes from Chile probably have longer shelf life by adding SO2 to the lugs.

I'm on the Island as well. I looked into sourcing North Fork fruit 20 years ago with no luck. Prices were high then compared to the Cali Central Valley fruit I would buy in Brooklyn Terminal Market. I found Musto Wine Grapes in CT & never looked back.. They ship to the Bronx, which isn't as convenient as Brooklyn. Quality is night & day.

I'm a firm believer in great wine is made in the vineyard. If you start with a good product, like anything else, you have an advantage.

I made decent wine from CV grapes. It got to the point where no matter what technique I applied to CV grapes, my wine was pretty much ordinary.

Their fruit labeled Lanza/Musto from Suisun Valley has become my go to fruit for the past 10 years. The quality of my wine has improved substantially. It is expensive compared to CV fruit, but well worth it IMHO.
We have been using Lanza for the last couple of years. The quality is very high. If you do your job right the resulting wine is excellent.

CFP Winemakers in Pittsburgh is the vendor. I believe they are cousins of the Musto’s.

Latest posts

Back