Fresh Batch of Beet Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xandra

Reaction score
Yay, I got my hydrometer! First of at least two, I know I'm gonna break this one, but... one for now ;)

This is what I've done so far, please let me know if you see any potential issues... ingredients are from several recipes, built it on what sounded right, and steps are my own logic coupled with what I've been trying to learn.

15 lbs. beets, cleaned and thinly sliced.
10 lbs. sugar
Zest and juice of 3 lemons and 2 oranges
20-25 whole cloves
2” of ginger root, grated
5 Campden tablets, crushed
6 gallons of tap water
1 package wine yeast

Zest the oranges and lemons, and juice them through a strainer. No pulp, no seeds. Into the primary fermentation bucket, place the sugar, the orange and lemon juice and the Campden tablet powder.

Boil the beets, the orange and lemon zest, the cloves and the ginger root, roughly divided between however many cooking vessels you need to use to achieve about 6 gallons of liquid. When beets are tender but not mushy, line a colander with a flour sack dishtowel and place it on top of the primary bucket. Pour the beets and liquid into the colander. Stir the sugar mixture and juice once you’ve got a couple gallons of liquid, so it’s easier to dissolve. Once the bucket is full nearly to the brim with liquid, stir carefully then siphon off 2 gallons into a second container. This is so the full bucket doesn’t overflow during the primary fermentation process, and a 5 gallon bucket will potentially overflow if it contains 5 gallons of fermenting liquid. You’ll lose some wine later when you siphon it into secondary, so this extra will help replace the loss enough to fill the carboy properly.

Take a hydrometer reading, after noting the temperature of the liquid. This calculator http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html?16280467 will correct your hydrometer reading since your liquid probably isn’t at the standard 60 degrees. You should be starting out at about 1.091. If it’s lower, add sugar to each container until you reach that mark on both. Cover loosely and let stand. The Campden powder needs 24 hours to kill any stray bacteria that might harm the wine. Start timing when everything is in the bucket and stirred up, you don’t have to wait until it’s cooled to start the clock. By the way, the juice in the buckets tastes positively scrumptious before adding the yeast :)

After 24 hours have passed, activate the yeast, and divide it proportionally into the two containers. Stir. Cover the containers with a cloth tied down, or rubber-banded, and set aside for 5 days, stirring twice a day. Don’t cover tightly, it needs to breathe.

* 7/28/13 – 4 gallons in bucket, added 2 cups sugar; 2 gallons in kettle, added 1 cup sugar, to reach 1.090 SG in each.
* 7/29/13 – Divided and added 1 packet Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212 yeast to both containers. Temp 83 degrees in the house.
* 7/30/13 - Fermenting very nicely as you can see here in the smaller container!!

I promise my subsequent posts will NOT be this long, and I thank you for your patience, for all the great info on the forum, and for your expertise :)

Day 1 Primary.jpg

Best of luck.
But when this batch is finished can you please describe the flavor in best of detail, because I dont get beet wine!

I dont like beets raw, cooked, steamed or even growing in the ground!

I can not even fathom this flavor!

Well, Elmer, actually... the juice itself, after boiling with the cloves, ginger, lemon and orange, didn't even taste like beets. Based on tasting other peoples' beet wines, a long time ago, I didn't even know it was beet wine. It was smooth, went down nice and gave a warm belly glow. I'll let you know how this batch turns out, provided I don't make any non-recoverable errors along the way!

72 hours in primary, SG down from 1.090 to 1.077. Still foaming a lot when stirred. Is this going as it should be? Trying to do this one right, so am I correct in understanding that this shouldn't go into secondary until it's down to .9xx-something SG? Thanks!

On 8/10 the SG was down to 1.001, so I decided to rack it. Honestly, was just tired of the smell of fermentation in the house, and figured it could finish out in the carboy. 4 days later now, it's producing an airlock bubble once every 10 seconds. I read somewhere that beet wine shouldn't be exposed to the light, in order to maintain its color, so I wrapped the carboy in a towel. LOL... I'm doing this in a 600 sq ft house with not a lot of places to hide my hobby out of sight and smell and light! Where, oh where shall I store all my bottles?? Seriously, though, I do have a basement of sorts, and a nice insulated (but not heated) garage with an office space, so that office space may turn into my wine storage room. For now, though, I want to "see" the progression of my efforts... just not smell them, LOL! Here's a pic... Ain't she purty?

Beet+8-14-13.jpg

I agree with elmer 100 percent...I hate beets in anyway , shape are form.
I salute your effort, and the color should be fantastic when complete.
just a heads up...there is a screw top bottle on the left, I wouldnt cork it.
The glass is way thin on the neck of a screw top bottle...
Just saying......

I agree with elmer 100 percent...I hate beets in anyway , shape are form.
I salute your effort, and the color should be fantastic when complete.
just a heads up...there is a screw top bottle on the left, I wouldnt cork it.
The glass is way thin on the neck of a screw top bottle...
Just saying......

Yeah, it's a screw top, and I know not to cork it. Was just one of the bunch someone gave me, and I'm sure I'll find a use for it sometime :) Might use it for storing leftover lees from my pineapple attempt, that flavor should go well with the triple berry blend I'll be trying soon.

Ain't gonna taste like beets ;) Although I'm real curious if it'll make ya pee like ya been eatin' beets, LOL!! Good thing I've got NO white carpet anywhere, right?

Looks promising, I would consider removing the cloves if they are still in your wine. Cloves, can easily overpower most wines.

Thanks, Seth! Cloves are gone, I only used them as a spice while boiling the beets and other ingredients. I wonder... if it would be a sin... to use part of my previous batch of beet, which is currently clearing, to top off the carboy when it's time to rack for aging...? I also wonder if it would be a sin, when I rack this batch, to rack it carefully into my bucket in order to remove the sediment from the carboy, then carefully back into the carboy? Sigh... maybe I'll have another carboy by then, but that $30 may well have to be spent elsewhere on things other than hobbies... :/

Thanks, Seth! Cloves are gone, I only used them as a spice while boiling the beets and other ingredients. I wonder... if it would be a sin... to use part of my previous batch of beet, which is currently clearing, to top off the carboy when it's time to rack for aging...? I also wonder if it would be a sin, when I rack this batch, to rack it carefully into my bucket in order to remove the sediment from the carboy, then carefully back into the carboy? Sigh... maybe I'll have another carboy by then, but that $30 may well have to be spent elsewhere on things other than hobbies... :/

It's definitely not a sin, at least in my books, to top up with a previous batch. You're doing the right thing by keeping headspace to a minimum during secondary fermentation and aging -- you're minimizing oxidation. I often top up with a bottle from a previous batch.

Here's a useful tip some fellow winemakers showed me -- make a little extra "juice" at the start, pop it in the fridge and use it to top up during racking. Be aware that any sugars in this top-up liquid will ferment out. Of course, if the unfermented juice is something you like the flavor of and you think it would be nice to bring out that flavor in the wine, add this "extra" juice during your post-stabilization racking (after you've added your metabisulphate and sorbate).

It's also not a great sin to rack into your primary bucket so you can clean your carboy. This can introduce quite a bit of oxygen into your new wine, which can discolor whites and will start to prematurely age any wine. Of course, you've gotta do what you've gotta do and we've all been there. Check ebay/craigslist/etc. for folks selling their old kit and you might be able to get another carboy on the cheap.

Good luck! Beets don't appeal to me either, but, hey, I made dandelion wine and thought it was pretty good, so perhaps I should consider making a beet wine…

Looks like SGX2 answered your questions for you. Also, good for you for not keepin them cloves in too long. Nothing wrong with using them, but I can think of no other way to overpower a wine quicker than with cloves.

Latest posts

Back