WineXpert Fourtitude with Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fourtitude down to 1.030 tonight, thank goodness, I've been sweating it out. I'm leaving for 5 days on a cruise on Thursday morning and will need to get it pressed and into glass before I leave. It's smellin awesome, many of the previously pressed berries have plumped back up and the cap is 6" thick. I think it's going to turn out really nicely. Guess I'll have to pass on MLF on this 16 gallon batch.

By now, I'm guessing you've racked this to a carboy to finish fermentation and you're about to begin clearing and KMeta.

How's it looking? Tasting?

My Fourtitude is in bulk right now on oak cubes. I wouldn't call it a big wine. But, it's pretty damned good.

My wife and her friend tried some of ours from the carboy this weekend and both thought it was fantastic, full bodied. I was doing the thieving from several different batches so I didn't try it, but they both said it was great. I've been disappointed with it until then, so maybe it was just me, or somewhere in it's fourth month it really starts to shine. It will go in the barrel at the end of the month and then I'll try it again.

By now, I'm guessing you've racked this to a carboy to finish fermentation and you're about to begin clearing and KMeta.

How's it looking? Tasting?

My Fourtitude is in bulk right now on oak cubes. I wouldn't call it a big wine. But, it's pretty damned good.

You're mostly correct Jim. I pressed the grapes at 1.015 and racked to two 6 gallon carboys and a one gallon (it was a double batch) jug last Wednesday night and left on Thursday morning. When I returned Monday, surprisingly, it was still bubbling along pretty substantially, and this morning was still showing pretty solid fermentation signs. It's just not ready to move on yet. I've not taken any SG readings yet, but I can tell you that it tasted and smelled quite substantial when I was pressing the grapes.

I'm sure the Zin skin addition did it a lot of good. I'm really awaiting the results anxiously, as if this works out like I hope, it'll add a dimension to my winemaking. Making wines from the best quality frozen must I can get, and reusing the skins in high end kits of the same varietal, will allow me to take the kits to a higher level, I believe is a good proposition.

I have two MM Meglioli's with grape packs on deck right now, one Zinfandel, one Syrah, and I'm planning to do those with the addition of the Chilean Cabernet and Malbec skins, respectively. I didn't really do a good job of matching up the varietals this round, but hell, some of the best wines are blends anyway, right?

Wow, this the longest ferment I can recall. I've certainly left wines to complete AF in glass longer, but this one is still going. Pitched on June 25th at 1.095ish, used rc212, down to 1.015 on the 29th, pressed skins and racked. Today, a full 17 days after pitching yeast, it's at 1.000, bubbling along taking its own sweet time. Guess it'll be done when it's done.

Wow, this the longest ferment I can recall. I've certainly left wines to complete AF in glass longer, but this one is still going. Pitched on June 25th at 1.095ish, used rc212, down to 1.015 on the 29th, pressed skins and racked. Today, a full 17 days after pitching yeast, it's at 1.000, bubbling along taking its own sweet time. Guess it'll be done when it's done.

As long as it's showing some movement, I guess there's not much to do but wait. Have you stirred the wine? The last time I had a slow ferment, the folks at WE suggested a good stir and making sure the wine was above 72*.

Whats the temp on the carboy?

Whats the temp on the carboy?

Room temp has been constant at 75 degrees. Must temps got to around 80 while in the fermentation bucket with skins, carboy temps 75 - 76 degrees. I ferment in the house, just like I have been doing for years, it's just really dragging along this time. No problems, just really slow.

This wine was my slowest ferment yet as well. Normally with an Eclipse kit I'd get it down to dry within a week. This one took a week to get to 1.004, then another week after that to finish. I was at my normal temps too, must be some other factor in the wine itself, or maybe the batch of yeast they put in some kits. It got there, albeit leisurely.

I don't recall what yeast was in the kit, but I didn't use it, subbed it out with BM 4x4, which I find is a little slower than EC 1118, but it's used on most of my reds, this one just a little slower than normal.

Johnd, my kits had two yeasts each, EC1118 and Bourgovin RC212.

Reading through this thread it occurs to me that this is one of the longest fermenting wines I have made. I just went down to check my figures in my log:

6-22-16 Pitched yeasts SG 1.093
6-23-16 Checked SG after 24 hrs. of influence by grape pack SG 1.097
6-29-16 SG 1.018, moved to secondary fermenter
7-12-16 SG 1.004, still fairly active (i.e. visible) fermentation, taste is good.

I am encouraged by the taste. Could turn out to be a really great wine.

I'm thinking along the same lines, plus I added the skins from two pails of Zinfandel that I had left over, it smells wonderfully right now, I'm just hoping the body is as big as the nose. Nothing worse than a big nose and a little body. LOL

In contrast, I'm doing an IM Blackberry Cab with the ladies in my office, we pitched yeast on Friday afternoon, SG 1.085, and went home for the weekend. Today, a scant 4 days later, the EC 1118 had it down to .992, just moved to glass.

Last edited:
I just racked mine into my Vadai. Fortunately there's enough for a good glass left. The body and favors are really coming on now. My other posts were critical of this wine, but now it's starting to show its real promise. 8 weeks in the Vadai then another 18 months aging and I think this will be great.

"They" say good things are worth waiting for, these two carboys are still chugging. Thought I'd rack, degas, and KMS the pair this morning, nope, .994 & .996.
30 day ferment isn't a concern for me, just so highly irregular given my warm side temps. Patience, young Jedi.

Johnd, I have never seen anything like it. Mine is still going fairly strong after 32 days. I have never had a wine that did this. I will say that the "QA samples" I have taken are super promising. This could be a very, very good wine. Glad I made a triple batch!

Johnd, I have never seen anything like it. Mine is still going fairly strong after 32 days. I have never had a wine that did this. I will say that the "QA samples" I have taken are super promising. This could be a very, very good wine. Glad I made a triple batch!

Mine are still chugging too, both close to dry, double batch with Brehm zin skins, I'm liking what I'm smelling, no tasting yet. Headed to the beach for a week on Saturday and hoping I can rack by then......

The cubes have all sunk to the bottom of the carboy. Mine will be racked in August or early September, then bottled before the holidays.

At this point, I'm hoping my two are finished fermenting by the holidays!! OK, so a bit of an exaggeration, it's looking like I'll get these two carboys racked in the next couple of days, both in the low .990's and not moving much in the last few days.

I'm curious to know how yours are tasting with oak, if you get a chance.....

At this point, I'm hoping my two are finished fermenting by the holidays!! OK, so a bit of an exaggeration, it's looking like I'll get these two carboys racked in the next couple of days, both in the low .990's and not moving much in the last few days.

If you don't get to racking those two, just leave a key under the mat at the front door and we'll take care of it for you....when are you coming back?

The last taste was very pleasant, red fruit, light tannins and vanilla. But, I'll be racking and tasting again in a few weeks. Will post up then.

Latest posts

Back