Found a Three Gal Water Bottle Today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneCreek

Reaction score
Yep, Found it. It was just sittin there waiting on me to drive by and see it. I decided to run some errands this afternoon and while on I-75 I spotted a water bottle in the median next to the concrete divider. I was in the right lane when I spotted it and since it wasn't safe for me to get over to the third lane I had to drive on to the next exit and circle back. I honestly figured it would be cracked or busted to heck and back from being bounced off a bumper or two or at least from hitting the roadway at 75+ miles and hour. Nope. Pristine condition. Not even a scuff or road rash. Now, before you beat me up on using a regular ole water bottle for wine making you should know I don't care. It was cheap and it will get used. However, I will probably only use it for racking out of a secondary and then racking wine back to the cleaned secondary. Who knows, I may just use it as a secondary if needed. While i was out and about I stopped by Lowes and found a #9 rubber stopper fits it just fine.

Alternative carboy

Yep, Found it. It was just sittin there waiting on me to drive by and see it. I decided to run some errands this afternoon and while on I-75 I spotted a water bottle in the median next to the concrete divider. I was in the right lane when I spotted it and since it wasn't safe for me to get over to the third lane I had to drive on to the next exit and circle back. I honestly figured it would be cracked or busted to heck and back from being bounced off a bumper or two or at least from hitting the roadway at 75+ miles and hour. Nope. Pristine condition. Not even a scuff or road rash. Now, before you beat me up on using a regular ole water bottle for wine making you should know I don't care. It was cheap and it will get used. However, I will probably only use it for racking out of a secondary and then racking wine back to the cleaned secondary. Who knows, I may just use it as a secondary if needed. While i was out and about I stopped by Lowes and found a #9 rubber stopper fits it just fine.

Bought a 4gal water bottle from Sam’s Club (the kind you turn upside down) for under $5 and used it and the water in it to make my root beer.

Where in Lowes did you find a food grade bung? :spm

Didn't say it was food grade. It was just a rubber stopper. They're in the specialty hardware drawers in the hardware section. The bungs don't come into contact with wine and they're the same rubber used in O-rings and rubber gaskets used in any kitchen appliance approved for food use.

Latest posts

Back