fortyfying wine with Liquers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fortyfying-wine-liquers

Thank you Rocky,
I appreciate your response. I lucked out with a coupon and a gift card or I would not even gone there.

I am going to look up my notes on what Joe has stated with FPAC's, extracts, and in the primary versus in the secondary and some final additions.

I will also go back to the port threads and look around around a bit.

Then again Rocky, maybe (since you are a Pirates fan) and I am a Dodger fan,
I am waiting to see what ideas you have or anyone else concerning the use of tequilla as a fortifier? I hope I am not going to end up empty handed like the Dodgers did when John Candalaria no hit us in 1976?

Tequilla anyone?
Corinth
PS: wineforfun: actually , I am just tinkering about but what ever you suggest , I am game!

Last edited:
Really no ideas here my friend, just inquiring.
I know rayway on here has done some infusing with different fruits, etc.

Very good point Rocky, about the 25% ABV. I feel it would not be a good "fortifier" but an excellent enhancement. Say a blackberry liquor adding depth to a shallow blueberry port?
Corinth, I actually had a sipping tequila on thanksgiving at my uncle in-laws house. Tequila reserve 1800. I think this would actually lend a very interesting note to a port. Interesting as in maybe a "hmmm interesting". Not sure if the agave is a friend to the grape. ImageUploadedByWine Making1417563765.064102.jpg

Can anyone help on why my post was deleted?
Pm is fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Can anyone help on why my post was deleted?
Pm is fine...

For anyone wondering about this we cannot allow discussion of any type of distillation on this forum. Fractional distillation or freeze distilling is included in this. We have to follow the rules of the state the forum is in and they don't allow it. Sorry for any inconvenience and it is nothing personal.

I've done a bit of making homemade 'liqueurs' using vodka, brandy and rum (40-50%). Homemade vanilla, pear-vanilla, blueberry, banana, mock-Kahlua, etc. If you're patient, you can come up with something pretty special. My blueberry and the pear-vanilla are some of the best liqueurs I've ever had. My sis-in-law LOVES the mock-kahlua. My husband likes to pour some of my vanilla on the rocks or with a splash of pepsi for an evening drink.

They can really add some depth to your wines, and flavour, especially if you use good quality ingredients. I've used the blueberry to flavour a blueberry-lambrusca wine (not fortify), and am thinking to make a new batch of the pear-vanilla to flavour a pear wine or mead that I'm thinking about.

Fortifying-wise, I've recently done a Banana Bochet Port (Deezil's recipe as a base) where I soaked several pounds of bananas in some E&J VSOP for a couple of months with a couple of vanilla beans, then used the infused brandy to fortify the banana bochet. it's looking to be something pretty special already. In my opinion, you really will want to use a stronger % alcohol if you're fortifying, otherwise you will end up with a 'weak liqueur' instead of a 'strong port-style'.

Haven't used tequila...yet.

For anyone wondering about this we cannot allow discussion of any type of distillation on this forum. Fractional distillation or freeze distilling is included in this. We have to follow the rules of the state the forum is in and they don't allow it. Sorry for any inconvenience and it is nothing personal.

My apologies, I thought the same rules applied here as on Hbt. Nothing personal taken.

Hi richmke

I agree with your logic. I honestly hope my hubby is wrong, but until someone with a good chemistry background assures me that it is safe I think I'll go along with his warning. Maybe it was the everclear he was reacting to, don't know. But when I did a lot of googling about making oak essence I pretty much only found that folks boiled oak chips in water to make an infusion that they added to wine.

Oh Seth! Or anybody else that knows this stuff. Please chime in with a real answer here.

Pam in cinti

Why do you need oak extract? Just add the oak to what you are making and wait a bit. IMHO, it will taste better then using any extract.

Anybody ever try making a hot (alcohol wise) sugar wine or maybe apple and use it to get the flavors out of the oak or whatever. You could blend with that and keep things down in the wine type of abv. Just thinkin about it. Arne.

Not quite on subject, but I'll throw it in anyway.

I made a traditional Shiraz(Syrah) Port in 2014, from grapes. Unfortunately, Not enough spirit to stop ferment, and it continued until Baume was 3 (measured).
Too dry for my likes.

To remedy the situation, I added some Ribena. To see whether others liked my concoction I entered it in a local wine show and came away with a Gold medal.

As for the extraction of oak with alcohol, best results can be obtained at 60% alcohol (120 proof).

I agree with others though, just add it into whatever you want the oak flavour in.

Latest posts

Back