Other New to Wine Making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow1510

Junior
Reaction score
I am looking to make a couple more reds (not really a white guy)a Red Zin, either a Shiraz or Petite Syrah, Pinot Noir and a Malbec.

Which kits are the best in your personal opinion. Also, I would like to hear what you guys think would be the best kits to make in general if not one of these varietals.

I like big chewy reds (zin, shiraz, super tuscans) and I also like the oregonion style pinot noirs. I currently have the CC Red Moutain Cab in the primary fermenter and I have the RJ Super Tuscan which is going to follow as soon as the Cab is done fermenting.

I am new to wine making but not to wine. I have a particular pallate. In other words I know what I like and what I dont like. I am trying to get my cellar going with some really good wines, that will be good for years to come.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If you could give me some reasons why you think this wineshould make it into my cellar that would be awsome.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Snow

No specific suggestion, but if you like big reds, you should stick with the premium kits, like the RJ Spagnol En Primier, Cellar Craft' biggest kits, and the Mosti Mondiale Meglioli kits.

Most of the special/limited edition kits are also pretty big kits.

Make reds that come with either a raisin pack or a grape pack. They will have better body.

What I am saying is make the best, biggest kit you can. They cost more, but in the end, they will reward you with the best results.

After all, you will have to wait quite awhile for the wines to be ready, so make the wait worthwhile.

I agree with the kits above and would add the RJS Winery Series to that list and would even say that some of those Winery Series are even better then their higher end EP kits. I will say the Winery Series Syrah is a definite, awesome body, nice and chewy and very spicy. I havent tried many of the MM Meglioli kits butt hat Barolo is out of this world!

Try this Australian Shiraz if George still has it in inventory. His Stock# 3590 (whenI bought it).
World Vineyard Kit.
My wife and I really enjoy it.

I too like big in your face reds but tend to lean towards the Italian varieties and blends. I have been happiest withMM Renaissance (I add my own raisins), MM Megioli (takes 18 months to age), Cellar Craft Limiteds and Showcase (Rosso Fortissimo), and RJS cru select (again adding my own raisins).

I think as long as you choose grape varieties or blends that you already know you like and buy 16 liter or more size kits, preferably with skins, grape pack or raisins, you'll be happy with the results.

BTW, welcome and good for you, after only 15 days into the obsession you know you want to carry on.

Best bet would be to give George a call and he can guide you towards a wine similar to what you enjoy drinking. The RJS kits have a terrific following as well as the MM Renaissance kits. The World Vineyard kits tend to be lighter kits, more of a very early light table wine. Remember that just because its a kit doesn't mean that it'll be ready to drink quickly. Make a big kit to get it aging then make something that you can drink earlier, most whites drink fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back