Forgot to record starting s.g.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamNoir

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I have had good luck answering my questions from past threads, but I could not find anything about my current problem. I started a 2 batches of concord grape wine on 10/7 from first recipe on this page: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques10.asp

I followed the instructions, but I used 10 lbs on grape per 1 gallon batch. On the 9th I checked my S.G. and realized I did not take an O.S.G! I cannot believe I did that...I guess I just added the recommended sugar without checking the s.g., but I have never done that before. Maybe I did but forgot to write it down? I don't know...

After two days of fermenting the s.g was 1.065 for the batch with skins, and 1.060 for the skinless. After 7 days it is 1.000 for each. Is the drop in s.g. consistent with what it would be if the o.s.g was at the 1.095? How many points a day does it loss if it is fermenting on schedule?

I am going to rack into secondary in the morning, but I wanted someone else opinion. Should I just proceed like normal? The website says that a starting s.g. of 1.095 is important for preserving the wine. Am I at risk of it not being a high enough alcohol content?

Thanks for the help everyone...

If alcohol level is important to you, then get a vinometer. They cost around $5. You have to wait until the SG is below 1.000 to use the vinometer.

You really don't need the original s.g. unless you care to figure out the alcohol %. I have made concord before and the starting s.g. is usually around 1090-1100 unless you added sugar. I wouldn't follow my numbers because there are many variables, but if you want to have some idea.

Oh good. I am not that worried about %, I just wanted to make sure it would have a shelf life. Thanks for info!

Latest posts

Back