RJ Spagnols Floating stuff after fining

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff180

Junior
Reaction score
My RJS White Chocolate White Port is brilliantly clear but has white stuff floating on the surface. I've degassed and added two-part finings as instructed. I tried racking from under it, but the stuff starts to sink down as I siphon, and I'd lose about a gallon if I only took the clear part. It doesn't seem to be solid so I don't think I can skim it off either. Any ideas on how to clear this up?

Rack it through a fine mesh screen.
One of those kitchen strainers should work.

I have a funnel with a screen insert from making beer. That is perfect for what you need.

I have a large eye dropper I have used to suck some floaters out of the carboy. They I watched to make sure more did not form.

Obviously, it depends on what the floaties are. Could they be undissolved sorbate? I know that I've had that problem.

Steve

I was able to get most of it out by racking to a larger carboy. I gave it a few hours to float back up and racked from underneath. That didn't work with the smaller carboy since the stuff was floating in the neck + shoulder, and got disturbed as it moved down to the wider body.

I like that eyedropper idea. I'll give that shot for the rest of it. I did try a mesh strainer but mine wasn't fine enough to catch anything.

Adding a final follow up in case someone else has the same issue...

The floating stuff was white and about a quarter inch thick. It was probably lees that didn't drop. I had degassed in between rackings, and after the final racking I poured the last bit of wine containing the floaters into a smaller bottle. I then moved both the bottle and carboy to a warmer location. The temps went from 70F to 73F. After a few days the floating stuff dropped out of the bottle and both containers are clearing well. I think my issue was a combo of not degassing enough and/or storing too cold. Or it may have just fixed itself with more time.

Latest posts

Back