Flextank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just showed up :D I'm jus trying to figure out when, exactly, I should start using them. After secondary or after oaking?. I'm stuck with using oak cubes for now. It's all I have. A L so, how often do you planning on taking racking once the when is I it? Do you have to rack at all?

I got mine all cleaned up and rinsed out today (Oxyclean). I plan on filling mine up this weekend. I am in the middle of MLF so I have 2 6G carboys plus a 3G carboy I will blend together for 15G's. They sent me a Winestix for 15G of wine and I will toss that in right now. I will probably rack once MLF is complete or maybe not, I might just sulfite and let it sit on the fines for 6 months then rack to carboy at some point. Still trying to figure what timelines and schedule. I know one things for sure, You can not lift that thing once it is FULL. Beyond my capabilities for sure so you better have it where you want it when you fill it!

So why can't you lift it Mike? 15 gallons is only 120 pounds! Now a 70 gallon one is a bit much to lift, so you just move it a little at a time by turning it. That one is almost 600 pounds. My 200 gallon ones stay where I fill them at 1600 plus pounds..........

LOL I am not gonna try that one. Old(er) age and wisdom has its rewards. I can lift 100b sack of sand but I would not feel comfortable lifting this. No handles and it would just be an accident waiting to happen! LOL

I got mine all cleaned up and rinsed out today (Oxyclean). I plan on filling mine up this weekend. I am in the middle of MLF so I have 2 6G carboys plus a 3G carboy I will blend together for 15G's. They sent me a Winestix for 15G of wine and I will toss that in right now. I will probably rack once MLF is complete or maybe not, I might just sulfite and let it sit on the fines for 6 months then rack to carboy at some point. Still trying to figure what timelines and schedule. I know one things for sure, You can not lift that thing once it is FULL. Beyond my capabilities for sure so you better have it where you want it when you fill it!

My plan was to bulk age in the flextank until the next year's must comes. I'm thinking it's probably best to put into carboys for secondary for sure. Still thinking about what to "oak" it in. At this point I'm probably going to do it in the flextank and rack it after that. My guess is, I really won't have to rack it after that. My guess is, it would be in the flextank another 7 to 8 months after that. I'm also thinking I wouldn't have to add a clearing agent "super klear" on that schedule. Other option would be to rack to carboy after oaking, add super kleer and let sit in cayboy, then back to the flextank... :>:>:a1 I'm probably over thinking this :?
One thing is for sure. I will NOT be lifting these! I'm with you mike

What are you putting into the Flextank? Fresh grape wine or kit wine? Either way you should not need any fining agents with that length of time. You will hvve to watch your SO2 levels as these are designed to allow Oxygen in like a barrel.

I'm using juice. Can't do grapes because of my schedule. And yeah I *** u med I would have to be aware of S02 levels. That's actually what drew me to buying these. Can't wait to put them to use :b

Well the tank is full! 60% Zinfandel, 30% Cab Sauv, 10% Petit Sirah blend. Added in the French oak Winestix. Weighed it out at 77gms and it was labeled for 15G. That is only 3oz and doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough oak. Oh well, I plan on blending in some American oak as well so that will leave room for that as well down the road. No leaks!

IMG_0776.jpg

That 15 looks nice, I've got 3 of the 30's, but still have use for a 15. I saw those wine sticks and also wondered how only one stick could possibly provide enough oak. I've been using oak fan systems from Oak Solutions Group for $58 plus shipping you get 15 staves, 3/8"x2.5"x36"long. The mfg recommends about 4 for a 30 gallon tank to get new oak equivalence, I have used 5 on heavy Cab without problems. You would just cut them in half for the 15g tank.

http://www.oaksolutionsgroup.com/shop-full

I know you're getting the micro-ox from these, but is there any evaporation taking place? In other words, do they need to be topped up, or just fill it and forget it?

Jim,
My understanding is that it is a fill it forget it.
No topping off, just monitor SO2. I hope to be ordering a 15gal one myself in the next couple of weeks.

Steve

Depending on how much wood you start with, the level does drop a little over the first month or so.

FYI Mine only took about ~14.5G to fill within a couple inches of the top. I dumped two of the 23L Italian carboys in then only ~2G from a 3G carboy.

Anybody ever tried to pull a vacuum on one of these? I wonder if the walls would be stiff enough to do a vacuum transfer.

Thanks for that link, looks like those come connected together.

Do you just cut the stainless steel clip in order to separate them?

That 15 looks nice, I've got 3 of the 30's, but still have use for a 15. I saw those wine sticks and also wondered how only one stick could possibly provide enough oak. I've been using oak fan systems from Oak Solutions Group for $58 plus shipping you get 15 staves, 3/8"x2.5"x36"long. The mfg recommends about 4 for a 30 gallon tank to get new oak equivalence, I have used 5 on heavy Cab without problems. You would just cut them in half for the 15g tank.

http://www.oaksolutionsgroup.com/shop-full

@stickman

Does your lid on the 30G have the green insert like the pic of the 15G I posted? I just screwed mine in tight but am wondering if it needs a wrap or two of teflon tape. The big white lid has a rubber seal at the bottom, everything looks looks airtight but the green screw-in insert.

The fan system has a stainless wire that can be opened easily with pliers.

Flex tank changed the bung over the past several years, it was originally a standard white polyethylene plastic 2" drum bung with a flat gasket, they since changed to the green one which is a 20% glass filled polypropylene that should have an EPDM O-ring, unless they have changed it again. I switched all of my older bungs to the green one with the O-ring. As long as the bung screws in far enough to allow the O-ring to contact the sealing face, there should be no need for Teflon tape.

Did you have to remove the knockout in the bung to use the airlock or did it come already open?

These tanks are not designed for vacuum or pressure transfer, I've never tried vacuum, but I'm certain it would collapse. I did a pressure transfer to another flex tank side by side using argon once, I was very careful and it worked, but I was nervous, I wouldn't do it again. I use a pump to deliver the wine into the tank on a high shelf, I can then use gravity for the following transfer.

Last edited:
Here is a closeup of the green insert. It has a threaded opening in the middle that I stuck the supplied airlock and rubber stopper into, but the outside of the green insert is just threaded, no rubber seal whatsoever, I will pull it back out just to double check today but I don't think there was any rubber gasket anywhere on the green insert thus my thought of using a wrap of teflon for added sealing there.

attachment.php

Flex tank changed the bung over the past several years, it was originally a standard white polyethylene plastic 2" drum bung with a flat gasket, they since changed to the green one which is a 20% glass filled polypropylene that should have an EPDM O-ring, unless they have changed it again. I switched all of my older bungs to the green one with the O-ring. As long as the bung screws in far enough to allow the O-ring to contact the sealing face, there should be no need for Teflon tape.

Did you have to remove the knockout in the bung to use the airlock or did it come already open?

Here is a shot of the old white and new green bungs, they both have gaskets, the white one is a little more difficult to see as it is a flat white gasket. I would expect to use a gasket unless Flextank has changed the design again, you may have to put in a call to find out.

Tank Bung.jpg

Thanks, Stick,

I will double check and give them a call to see if it got left out by accident.

Went home for lunch an low and behold there is a small black o-ring on the underside. Blended in so well in low light that I didn't even see it or feel it when tightening the insert. Looks to be all sealed up!

Latest posts

Back