Finer Wine Kit FWK carboy vs Flex

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

She’sgonnakillme

Reaction score
Ok, so I have noticed something that I thought I'd share with you all. I have a FWK Cab Sauv / Merlot blend that I bottled a month ago after aging it 14 months in my Flextank. The same was aged in a glass carboy as well. Wow, no comparison imo! The Flextank allowing for micro oxidization really improved the wine vs the carboy version. I am totally sold on the Flextank after this comparison.

I thought that oxidation was the reason it was recommended not to keep wine in Better Bottles for more than 3 months? Is the Flextank oxidation rate substantially different from a Better Bottle?

I thought that oxidation was the reason it was recommended not to keep wine in Better Bottles for more than 3 months? Is the Flextank oxidation rate substantially different from a Better Bottle?

http://better-bottle.com/pdf/CarboyPermeabilityStudy.pdf
You won't get any micro-ox from a BB. The micro-ox is what will smooth out the wine and tannin where as a carboy or BB will not. You really have to keep up with your SO2 levels on a Flextank and not so much with a Carboy or BB in comparison.

My Speidels provide similar micro oxidation.....extremely happy with the results! I use the 20L's for bulk aging a single batch.

Cheers!

Ok, so I have noticed something that I thought I'd share with you all. I have a FWK Cab Sauv / Merlot blend that I bottled a month ago after aging it 14 months in my Flextank. The same was aged in a glass carboy as well. Wow, no comparison imo! The Flextank allowing for micro oxidization really improved the wine vs the carboy version. I am totally sold on the Flextank after this comparison.
Curious how you know the flextank provides micro oxygenation. Is there specific manufacturer data on this or is this an educated guess?

Edit... just looked them up. Pretty interesting. Sounds like you got a winner!

Last edited:
@She’sgonnakillme I am curious what the flavor differences are? I read about reductive versus oxidative wine making but so far haven’t found flavor standards.

From what I have seen more reductive/ less oxidative winemaking is better for fruit wines/ white grape and ones which are intended for long term storage.

Latest posts

Back