First try with whole house filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winegirl

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got to try the filter set up that Wade and many others have. My problem, why would it ever work correctly the first time, is that on the out side, I'm getting a lot of air/foam. The fittings are all nice and snug, what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Kim

I hope one of the more experienced members chimes in as I had a similar issue with air/foam the last time I tried to filter.

I thought maybe it was the pressure release valve on the filter housing but have not had a chance to do any specific troubleshooting since then.

Glad I'm not the only one that has problems. I'm beginning to wonder what's going on, seems I've had a lot of 'learning experiences' lately. I'm thinking maybe it wasn't degassed enough, I don't know if that would do it or not. I thought I was fully degassed as I had a vacuum pump, only to learn after that my pump would only pull 3" of vacuum and that is not enough for degassing. So I added clearing agents thinking I was degassed, it did clear beautifully, but maybe there still was gas.

from reading on previous posts on this matter, and other forums, some has expressed this problem if the filter has not first been saturated, possibly by first flushing the system with, as much as, 5 gallons of a kmeta solution first....once the filter is saturated, then the gassing/foaming situation ceases...granted, i have never used the system, but just figuring i would post what i have read online, not from experience...

Check for leaks in the connection from the filter to the hose. Yes you should run a bit of water through first to make sure the pieces of lint and so on are out of it. Also make sure that the filter body is tightened well to seat the 0-ring.

I posted in the review where I installed a 1/2 npt pipe for that reason. When pulling wine under a vacuum thru a filter it tends to remove alot more co2 - I noticed. The turblance under vacuum tends to separate the co2 from the wine. Which filter housing are you using ? what vacuum setting ? temperature ?

sorry for all the questios - just trying to narrow it down
thanks steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I posted in the review where I installed a 1/2 npt pipe for that reason. When pulling wine under a vacuum thru a filter it tends to remove alot more co2 - I noticed. The turblance under vacuum tends to separate the co2 from the wine. Which filter housing are you using ? what vacuum setting ? temperature ?

sorry for all the questios - just trying to narrow it down
thanks steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I saw where you had your pic of the 1-2 npt pipe, I thought it was just to suck up more wine from the bottom, I didn't realize it helped with the turbulance. I'm using the whole house filter set up from filtersfast. I ordered everything Wade has listed. I tried different vacuum settings from about 5 to 12, just to see if it got any better, it didn't. I'm going to guess the wine was about 68, I didn't look, but it was in a cooler location before bottling.

Are your fittings just the push on hose barb type?? If so, they may be leaking and it mite need a hose clamp around it to stop the leak. Arne.

I run about 3 gallons of warm acilidated water (citirc acid) water through my pads first.

put some down soap around the joints - if they bubble - there is your leak...

When I first used mine, I ran a test with starsan (about 3 gallons), because I wanted to sanitize everything anyway. I was getting a lot of air, and I finally narrowed it down to having to screw the top of the filter on VERY tightly. I thought it was sealed, but apparently it wasn't the first time. So I used the wrench and really socked it down tight. Has worked great ever since (I also do have the extra piece of PVC to keep the draw down to the bottom of the filter).

I tried the "whole house" filter system for my wine. Didn't like the result. Now, I don't filter. Just my opinion.

I filtered 2 six gallons carboys yesterday and could not believe the difference. Came out very nice and was easy to do.

Ok, I'll bite....

What "didn't you like" about a clear wine? What did you filter exactly?

Let me correct my diction, before I answer. I did not like the process or proceedure.

I discovered I can make clear wine without filtering. It was just too much of a hassle for me to filter what did not need filtering. Others---perhaps yourself included---may see it otherwise. If my wine is not clear, it will sit there until it is. To me, that is much easier than messing with filters.

As some of the others have stated, I got a lot of bubbles during the process. When I was finished, my first thought was, "I'm not doing that again." The methods posted here on how to eliminate this problem with the whole house filters involved adding more lengthy steps to my winemaking. I want to simplify my proceedures, not include more, complicated steps.

Thanks for asking!:D

Last edited:
Well to be correct - we don't filter cloudy wines..

Filtering adds a polished appeal to the wine.

If you filter a cloudy wine - your filters will clog up real quick.

Yes, of course, Jon.

But I'm still less than a year into wine making, so educate me. I have seen others post the same kind of vague response to this question. What do you mean by "polished appeal". If your wine is completely clear, what does filtering do? I saw no difference in the wine I filtered. That's another reason why I didn't mess with it again.

I'm ready to be enlightened! :sm

Dave,

What wine did you filter? A red you will not see as much difference in the before and after normally since you most likely can't see through it. A white is something else. It sparkles. Kind of like a diamond. You really should have a glass saved of the before and after filtering of the same white wine. Side by side they are two totally different looking wines. Most of us filter our whites with 1 micron filters, 5 micron for reds.

Are your fittings just the push on hose barb type?? If so, they may be leaking and it mite need a hose clamp around it to stop the leak. Arne.

Yes, they are the push on type, it really seems tight, but maybe I do need some clamps. Thanks for your reply.

Latest posts

Back