First try with juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banannabiker

Reaction score
I have made and bottled a batch of peach, and have some elderberry/blueberry in secondary fermentation, both of which were made from fresh fruit.
I decided to try a batch from just juice, so got 3 gallons of welches grape jucie and 2 gallons of Cranberry juice and put them into the primary (no water added). These were 'no sugar added-100% juice'. I checked the Specific gravity, and found it to be about 1.060, so added sugar to bring it up to about 1.070 before adding any yeast-which I hope will turn out a wine with about 10% alcohol. I stirred a packet of wine yeast (Lalvin K1-V1116) with two teaspoons of nutrient into a 16 ounce container of the juice and let it set for an hour-then added it to the main batch, along with 3 more teaspoons of nutrient. After 24 hours-its fermenting like crazy.
My question is-do I need to actually add anything else to this batch? I have used campton tablets with my earlier wines made from fresh fruit-but can't see that i would need to with juice-which has been pasturized-so I didn't add any this time.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Your campden tablets provide sulfite which can help keep your wine from oxidizing or developing an infection. Even with juice recipes, I still add some sulfites when I start the batch.

Another thing that you may or may not need is pectic enzyme. If your juice has any pectin in it, it could cause a haze in your finished wine. Since you've already started the ferment, you really shouldn't add pectic enzyme now as it doesn't do well in the presence of yeast. You can add it after the wine completes if you have a haze.

Some people like to add some bentonite at the beginning to drag proteins out of solution, but it too can be added at the end.

As for flavor, some people like to add some grape tannin to wines like this.

+ you should check your acid and adjust accordingly.

Latest posts

Back