First time question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skap1

Junior
Reaction score
I am ready to begin my first batch of wine from juice I purchased from a winery. I have 6 gallons in a sealed bucket. Do I start the process in the bucket itself or can I start the process by immediately transferring to a carboy for fermentation. My initial plan is to add some dried fruit and oak.

I have read various ways of starting both in the bucket and in the carboy. Just wondering if it makes a difference? Am I overthinking this already?

Welcome aboard!!!

You don't want to start fermentation in the carboy - the bucket will be fine. The kit instructions should tell you.

With whites, you can do it either in a bucket or a carboy, although the bucket option is more popular. Just make sure you have enough extra space in the bucket, certain yeasts produce a lot of foam. I think the general rule of thumb is to allow 1/4 to 1/3 free space, although that is probably over cautious.

Unless you have a very large carboy, like one of those 7.5 gallon jobs, start in the bucket. If you put 6 gallons of juice alone in a 6 gallon (or even 6.5 gallon) carboy, you will shortly experience the "wine volcano" that you may have heard referenced, due to the great amount of CO2 given off during primary fermentation. If you are adding fruit and oak, you definitely want to be in a bucket.

If you start in the bucket you get more room, it's easier to clean/work in, easier to stir the must and punch the cap, and it's easier for the yeast to get oxygen. That's my consensus. You don't want your primary to be sealed.

Welcome welcome! You should definitely start the fermentation process in the bucket as others have stated and enjoy the fun!!! Hope to see you around here more often! Remember no question is stupid and trust me I have asked some pretty dumb ones myself but everyone here is extremely helpful! Good luck!

Thanks

Thank you for the responses. This is great information that I was unaware of even after researching for a long time. When you say that I don't want to seal the primary does that mean I should just put the lid on the bucket and not an airlock?

Yeah if you have one of those lids with the hole for an airlock, put something such as a napkin held down over the hole so bugs/debris don't get in yet allowing an exchange of air. The primary fermentation needs to breath. Once you rack into a carboy you should use an airlock.

Hope you enjoy your visits here, there is a lot of information between all the wine makers on this forum.

Last edited:
You can even just use a bath towel or something like that draped over top of your bucket

Yeah if you have one of those lids with the hole for an airlock, put something such as a napkin held down over the hole so bugs/debris don't get in yet allowing an exchange of air. The primary fermentation needs to breath. Once you rack into a carboy you should use an airlock.

Hope you enjoy your visits here, there is a lot of information between all the wine makers on this forum.

So you never seal down your lid and use an airlock on your primary bucket with fermentation? I have only made kits so far but I have always been instructed and told to keep the lid sealed and under airlock and so far with making 7 kits I have never had a problem with fermentation beginning or being stuck and has always fermented out dry. Just curious if you say this because it's just the juice or something along those lines? Is it different for kit wines?

Some people use an airlock on their bucket, claiming that the daily check of SG gives it enough O2 (which IIRC is most important early during fermentation). Just don't seal the bucket air tight, or you will be in for a grand mess.

So you never seal down your lid and use an airlock on your primary bucket with fermentation? I have only made kits so far but I have always been instructed and told to keep the lid sealed and under airlock and so far with making 7 kits I have never had a problem with fermentation beginning or being stuck and has always fermented out dry. Just curious if you say this because it's just the juice or something along those lines? Is it different for kit wines?

Nope I haven't used an airlock on my primary (mainly because my lid doesn't fit an airlock) and I've only used kits so far. It's just a different technique. The idea is that since yeast likes oxygen, keep an open access to oxygen. There are a hundred different "ways" for each process in wine making and all (or most, maybe) of them are right.

On my way

Oak shavings in and fermentation beginning in the bucket! Thanks for the help. Hopefully on my way to a fine batch of Merlot!

Latest posts

Back