First time peach wine help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, your brix are way way too high.. Bring it down to around 1.080-1.090 ish... Try getting some more peaches to make up for the dilution, but you are going to have to bring those brix down.

nooooo...dont do that...there very savable.

you dont want to add concentrate now......wait for it to ferment to dry.

step by step....without a hydrometer.

try to get everything in to a 5 gallon bucket
add water to about 4 inches from the top
add your pectin enzyme let sit for a day, cover with a cloth of sorts
add 1/2 of your yeast nutrient and stir well
add your yeast
it will start the ferment......
when your hydrometer gets in, check the sg. then come back with the reading.

no concentrate till after its fermented
you will have tons of lees.

I did all this about midnight last night so its around 14 hrs now. I just smelled it and it smells great. Very peachy , no rotten smells. I have also moved it to the garage where it can get chilled a little with the cold air.

So add water and p enzyme then yeast?

Last edited:
My pectic enzyme pouch says 1/2 tsp per gallon of juice or 1/10 tsp per lb of fruit one hr before start of fermentation

Benew.....add your pectin enzyme. and water....for that much peach I would add
3 tsp and let is sit over night........
pectin enzyme helps break down the fruit....
then add your nutrient and yeast.

where do u live.

I live in Georgia. I also have not added campden tablets yet. Should i do that now as well?

Benew.....add your pectin enzyme. and water....for that much peach I would add
3 tsp and let is sit over night........
pectin enzyme helps break down the fruit....
then add your nutrient and yeast.

where do u live.

Do you mean 3 tsp per bucket? Should i expect the must to rise a great deal once i add the yeast? Im assuming this will all be done without trying to keep it cool.

James thank you for all your help

yes 3 tsp per bucket......you may get a good cap...with that much sugar but it will go down after a few days....montrachet isnt a real powerfull yeast.
but it does not like to be stressed.....its nutrient dependent.
thats why we all come here...either to help are be helped.
and your welcome..dont be afraid to ask away...if someone doesnt know the answer, some one else does for sure..
good luck and happy happy.

Just got back from home depot, got me 2 buckets and lids. I ended up putting 3 1/2qts total to get them both to the 4" line from the top. Also put 3tsp pectic enzyme in each and cambden tablets

I pitched the yeast this morning before work and added half the nutrient. Hope i did everything right with the yeast that is. Should i keep the buckets in the garage where it is a little cooler? Highs in the mid upper 50s this week

now your cooking....make sure to cover with some kind of cloth.
i use 5 gallon paint sprayer bags...
i would move to inside the house, where it warmer...
gonna be a b>>>>> to strain but , im sure you will figure out a way.
when you do one with fruit next time, add it all to the same bags as above and tie knot in it...much cleaner for fruit removal.

speaking off....remove the fruit after about day 5, and let it keep fermenting.

Everything is looking good. Gave it a good stir last night and this morning. It had risen more this morning and once i stirred it, it was bubbling like crazy. James i have about a 4" hole cut out of the lid with cheese cloth taped under it.

When do i add the other half of the yeast nutrient?

Last edited:
looks like you have a nice ferment going, add it after about 2 more days.
and then if starts slowing down add a little bit after day 7.
because of the montrachet yeast, smell it each day and if starts smelling like rotten eggs, you have to take action fast.
rotten egg smell is when the yeast gets stressed out, and it goes to h2s...
look up h2s before hand, so you know what it is.
http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrogen_sulfide.htm

yes....strain it the best you can.
most of us use a straining bag and put the fruit in it...easier to manage.
make sure you stir the wine every day....

there really is nothing left after 5 days, at least with the peach i have done.as well as fig,blackberries, etc ...its pretty much skins,seeds,stems,pits,etc...hardly any fruit mass left..

Yup, and those skins,seeds,stems,pits and ect... can still contribute in their own ways to the wine. Ie tannins and the such. Plus residual fruit gunk lol

Latest posts

Back