First time Muscadine wine noob-getting started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr2step

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post after some "trolling" the boards last few days trying to get the info I need to start my first hand at a bronze muscadine wine. I am about to harvest and put into freezer while I tie up loose ends. My first question of the boards is the crushing part. I guess I am not sure if I just crush the grapes straight in the primary bucket with a 4x4 or some sort of crushing device or do I get some kind of mesh bag to put grapes in then crush? It seems I have read about both methods but not sure. Additionally, do I put the pectin enzyme in at this time and wait a day or so then add the yeast? With the yeast do I have to mix it in water or just pour right over the must? I apologize but I am really not sure where to get started. My local wine making shop was not too much help and seemed like they only wanted my money and a "good day".
Here is what I have so far. 5 gal plastic bucket, 5 gal glass carboy,racking cane with tube,carboy cap,hydrometer, champagne yeast,yeast energizer,sanitizer, campden tabs. Seems like I will need some more stuff by the look of it. Many thanks in advance!

Hi mr2step,

Welcome to winemakingtalk.

I usually crush without the grapes in a bag, then pour them into a bag. Also, for crushing you can use a sanitized paint stirrer, works very well. Once I crush the grapes I add k-meta, wait 24 hours and then add peptic enzyme, nutrients, acid blend (if needed) and wait 24 hours, I sprinkle the yeast on top, after 5 - 7 days I remove the bag of grapes and press.

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess my real question is WHAT exactly do you use for the crush? If I crush it in a bucket THEN transfer it to a bag to be put into primary. I have read some folks use a 4x4 (non treated of course) wrapped in plastic wrap to use as a crusher. Any thoughts on this method? Thanks!

Yes, camdem is k-meta in pill form. Use anything you can think of to crush, I have heard of people using the 4x4 with good success. What you want to do is spit open the grape so the peptic enzyme can break down the grape as much as possible.

Great.Then perhaps that is what I will do. Maybe even use potato masher. Thanks for your help.I sincerely appreciate it. This won't be my last question.:b

Latest posts

Back