first time bottling tomorrow

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a grand cru cab thats bitting sitting in my glass carboy ready to be bottled. This will be my first time bottling. I heard that you should add something to the carboy before bottling. Was it potasium metabisulfite? If so how much? And should I stir it in? Also should I soak the corks in anything? I noticed if you bottle a wet cork it slides in much smoother. Any tips or suggestions please let me know. Also should I let the bottles sit up right for a day or two then lean them on the sides to age?

Thanks!!

rosa....

Your first batch of wine, and it's not one that really needs a LOT of aging, so I'm going to say that adding a bit of K-meta is optional. I probably wouldn't add it.

Do NOT soak the corks. What I do is put the 30 corks in a margarine tub with a bit of sanitizer. Shake, and then dump the corks into a colander to drain.

Unless using synthetic corks, you are correct. Leave the bottles up right for a day or two, then on their sides or upside down.

Steve

Rosa, as usual Steve gave good information. If you do decide to add K-meta to your batch before bottling be sure to dissolve it in 2-3 ounces of warm water first then stir it into your wine.

rosa....

Your first batch of wine, and it's not one that really needs a LOT of aging, so I'm going to say that adding a bit of K-meta is optional. I probably wouldn't add it.

Do NOT soak the corks. What I do is put the 30 corks in a margarine tub with a bit of sanitizer. Shake, and then dump the corks into a colander to drain.

Unless using synthetic corks, you are correct. Leave the bottles up right for a day or two, then on their sides or upside down.

Steve

Is there a reason why not to soak the corks? Also margarine as in butter? So you put the corks in butter or are u saying thats what you use for a container? To Sanitize can I use k-meta?

he uses the empty butter container to sanitize the corks. he doesn't soak them in butter:)

I'm using one step no rince cleanser, I mix it as directed then put it in a spray bottle and spray everything that comes in contact with my wine.

A good, generally accepted sanitizing solution is 3(three) tablespoons of Kmeta dissolved in one gallon of water.

Ok I've bottled all of them but I have one bottle that is half full. I already corked it. What's the chances of it going back due to the amount of air that is left in the bottle.?

Ok I've bottled all of them but I have one bottle that is half full. I already corked it. What's the chances of it going back due to the amount of air that is left in the bottle.?
Strong chance that it will go bad. Most people drink the part bottle, unless they have a compatible batch that conveniently needs topping up.

I am a strong believer in the Vacu Vin stoppers for partial bottles of wine. I know that a few folk don't believe in them, and I know that there are many who don't understand the concept of a partial bottle. :h

However, on bottling day, my equipment includes a Vacu-Vin pump and a stopper for that last bottle.

Steve

The Vacu-Vin works well. I don't use it on my last bottle but I do put a taster cork in it and put it away in the fridge to drink within the next day if I'm not using it to top up with.

That partial bottle is your reward after racking, bottling, and cleaning up. :b

Strong chance that it will go bad. Most people drink the part bottle, unless they have a compatible batch that conveniently needs topping up.
I am a strong believer in the Vacu Vin stoppers for partial bottles of wine. I know that a few folk don't believe in them, and I know that there are many who don't understand the concept of a partial bottle. :h
However, on bottling day, my equipment includes a Vacu-Vin pump and a stopper for that last bottle.
Steve
I have this item and it works well.

That partial bottle is your reward after racking, bottling, and cleaning up. :b
I'm with you on this one.

Back