First Time At Local Wine Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st time it is best to follow the directions then make adjustments to later batches. The "mist" type wines have flavor and much lower alcohol then reg wine. So, you should not be getting a "desert" wine sweetness.

It's good to know it won't be too sweet. However, I'm sure many of our sweet-loving friends will enjoy it if it is. It's as much for them as for me and my wife.

The starting Sg was 1.060. The alcohol looks to end up around 8 to 8.125 %. That is high enough, considering this stuff will be very "easy" to drink. At parties, I'll likely put a friendly reminder sign on the despenser that tells everyone to exercise caution.

When I did my island mist kit last fall, Black RaspberryMerlot,I bumped the abv to 10.5 and 1/2 f-pac at the beginning and 1/2 at the end. It was sweet but not too overbering. Turned 1/2 into Sangria which turned out muy buneo!

Hi Scott,
I'll be making the OB Sangria with Seville oranges next!
I ordered an additional fermentor bucket from George, so I'll be able to build it, while my RJS EP Cab is also going. V. would kill me if she knew how much money I am spending on my new "hobby".
smiley18.gif

It's only beginning! You need to come by on Sunday and see my Vacuum pump, filter, and auto bottle filler in action. Just add another $ 250 to your toy budget.

Wow! Maybe I will come by.
Can you do vacuum degassing with your vacuum setup? Degassing is something that should benefit from a vacuum pump.

You bet. Thats and racking is what I originally got it for the filtering and bottling were just additional WOW's

Racking is my primary concern. I'm getting really tired of having to place an empty carboy on the floor, siphon to it, THEN LIFT IT UP 4 FT. TO THE TABLE. I first lift it 2 ft. to a small platform, get a new grip and finally to the table.

I have a carboy tote (nylon netting) for each carboy. I get them from George. They help, but you still have to lift the filled carboy.

There are all sorts of "reasons" that we can develop to justify spending money on our obsession. I think it would make interesting reading and perhaps be instructive for budding enthusiasts.
smiley1.gif

Good observation, Admiral. I have already spent more than twice as much on equipment as I had intended. Still, I can think of quite a few other things I would like to add.

I'd better stick with what I already have for a while.
smiley6.gif

Hehehehehehehe........

And so it begins.......

Next thing you know you will be hiding kits in closets.......

Um, you know to keep them warm........

smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

DancerMan said:
V. would kill me if she knew how much money I am spending on my new "hobby". 
smiley18.gif

But where do I hide the ten gallon fermentor bucket George is sending me?
And I'm up to 4 carboys already... I wonder if that is some sort of record for a newbie?

DancerMan said:
But where do I hide the ten gallon fermentor bucket George is sending me?

Thats easy, slap one of these on it!

20100224_200654_Sign_Collection.JPG

DancerMan said:
And I'm up to 4 carboys already... I wonder if that is some sort of record for a newbie?

Ah no, that would belong to me! 10 carboys in only 5 months! Only 6 more to tie me........
smiley2.gif

20091220_171431_DSC02348.jpg

If mania is the suffix meaning "obsession with" (i.e. Anglomania: an obsession with things English or bibliomania: an obsession with books) then what would our "mania" be called?
smiley24.gif

Mike, I think your record is safe.
smiley36.gif

I bought a 5-gallon carboy a few days ago. My plan for my MM Ren. Amarone is to rack 5 gallons into that bottle, and bottle the other gallon in 375 ml bottles for taste testing over the next year or so.

I will start my RJS EP Cab this weekend, in a few weeks start a RJS OB sangria with oranges for summer parties, later a Cellar Craft viognier, and finally a Cellar Craft Argentine malbec (love it!) when it's available in June.
After that I will be done... honest.
smiley2.gif

oenomania, oinomania

a mania for wine. Also enomania.

admiral said:
If mania is the suffix meaning "obsession with" (i.e. Anglomania: an obsession with things English or bibliomania: an obsession with books) then what would our "mania" be called?
smiley24.gif

Latest posts

Back