First Time At Local Wine Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robie

Reaction score
Sunday, my wife and I attended our first meeting at the local wine club. We didn't exactly know what to expect, but we were excited to have the opportunity to meet other home wine makers and to taste some of their pride and joys.

The theme was wine and chocolate.

We had a really super time and met some great people. There were about 22 people there; no one came across as a wine snob, just a bunch of people who share a desire (love?) to make and drink their own wine. Everyone was laid back, open and comfortable - like the people one meets around a camp fire out at the lake on a nice summer evening.

I didn't count, but I'll guess there were about 12 different wines present. There were a few more reds than whites I had to bring a commercial wine, since nothing I have made is ready, yet. It was consumed right along with the rest of the wine.

Most of the wine was from kits, but there were a few bottles from fresh grapes. In the fall, many in the club get together and order in a load of fresh grapes. A crusher and a press are available, so everyone gets into the act. I am looking forward to joining in on it this fall.

Some of the wine was aged out well, a small number of bottles were still young, but none so young that the flavor didn't come though. It was all good and I went back for seconds (at least) on everything that was opened. (12 wines times small portions times 2 equals ... I was still able to drive home safely!
smiley17.gif
)

I had written previously of my concerns about the quality one might expect from a homemade wine. I had no idea what to expect, but my hopes were high. Truthfully, I was able to sample enough good homemade wine to finally feel good about what I believe I can produce at home. If my wines turn out as well as what I tasted Sunday, I'll have no qualms about giving some of my wine as gifts to my friends and family.

What a great opportunity it is to be apart of a local wine club and a great bunch of people.

Thanks Scott, for inviting me.

Sounds like you had a great time. I know that you will be pleased with your efforts on your own wine and I, for one, look forward to hearing about your wines in the future.
smiley1.gif

Glad you found a local wine club. I have one here in Southern New Jersey. We just had our monthly meeting yesterday, The topic was French wine and foods. We even had a new guest from another forum. Boy was he impressed.
Good luck with the club. I hope you become a member so you can pick their brains.. LOL

Richard:
Glad you enjoyed it last night and it was a pleasure meeting your lovely Bride. As much research as youdo along with the time you also spend on this forum your input is going to be very much appreciated. I think someone said you were hosting the June Meeting!?
smiley32.gif

I think by my last count we are at 44 who receive club updates, not bad for just putting up flyers at a couple local wine shopes. Last night including the 2 of you we had6 new members there.
As far as the driving goes, I would like to question that one. I was behind you and was not sure if it was the snow or the wine
smiley36.gif

It was those spiders that kept running out in the road in front of me and causing me to have to "dodge" them.
smiley13.gif

I really liked two especially and about the same - I liked the amarone and, just as well,
the merlot, which had the name "showcase" on its label (It was not a Cellar
Craft showcase Series). Unfortunately, the lady who made the merlot didn't
have any notes with her to ID the actual kit she used for it.

I am in Austin Texas and we had a meeting this weekend also. We try to have an educational section of the meeting. This week one member did a presentation on measuring residual sugar and another talked on recognizing and mitigating different Sulfur faults.

Our meetings are hosted in a rotation at members homes. The host provides a main dish and we all bring sides and a bottle or 2 of wine we want to share.

A great Sunday afternoon.

Pat

We normally do the same thing. At least have a couple of topic about wine making. This last meeting was more about tasting then anything else.

What a great idea to get together with others with a common interest and share facts and fun.

Yep, I think I am in line to have a meeting at my home early summer.

I am going to make two of the Orchard Breeze kits, put each in one of George's "wine-on-tap" containers and serve 'em up along side the bottles of wine people bring. George said that for up to six months you can store the wine in the special plastic bags, that comes with the wine on tap. That is much better than bottles for something that is not going to last very long!
smiley32.gif

Scott,
I purchased an Orchard Breezin Banana Pineapple Viognier and plan on getting a Sangria with Seville Oranges next month.
They should be great by Summer.
smiley32.gif

Not by much the first time, cause I want it to be ready right away.

I thought I'd consider raising it by maybe only 1 to 2 percent, based on what the starting SG is before bumping it. If I can't, I will not bump it.

I am considering putting 1/2 the F pack in the fermentor and only the other half on the end. My problem is I don't know how sweet it will turn out, if I put the whole thing in at the end... I don't think I want a syrupy sweet drink. Just no experience with these kits.

I'd like both kits to be drinkable by May 1st.

NO,
That (sorbate) and K-mets should have been added BEFORE adding a f-pac and or back sweetening

ASAI said:
PatL said:
Does the F pack contain Sorbate ?

Depends; In general not enough to cause fermentation problems if added to primary.
F-pac is added after finning (k-meta and sorbate) not in primary. If adding in primary you will ferment it out

My wife and I recently joined a local amature vintners association and the people there are friendly down to earth folks. We are glad we joined and have volunteered for upcoming wine events.

PatT,

I just got back on since yesterday at 5.
I was concerned about where the sorbate is in the kit. It turned out to be is a separate packet, so I assume the F pack did not have any (or very much) sorbate in it. Adding 1/2 the sorbate before fermentation could spell disaster, I know.

Tepe,
Yep, I wonder how much of the flavor (non-sugar) in the F pack will survive the fermentation. I notice that several people have added part of the F pack at fermentation, but haven't heard any comment about the flavors making it through to the end.

I started the banana/pineapple viognier kit last night. It was one year old and I was a little worried about the yeast, so I rehydrated it and made a yeast starter kit of it. It took a little longer than usual to get it all started, but it came through. This morning, only 6 hours later it already had a nice foam cap and was fizzing away.

I went ahead and added 1/3 of the F pack at fermentation time. I have no experience as a point of reference, but I do know I don't like the heavy sweetness of most meads and dessert wines. I just took a chance. It might have been better to have "done it by the book" the first time, but...

Latest posts

Back