First Solo Bottling Day!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt723

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Today I will bottle for my first time solo, I know it won't be too different than normal but I did have a few things I wanted to clarify before I start.

Corks
I have read a million and one posts about corks. If they are sealed from purchase, use them dry, if not then make a corkadore. I am in the middle, my corks are in the original bags they came in but I believe the bag has perforations (not on purpose just from me not taking better care). Would it be ok for me to mix up a sulphite solution and simply dunk the corks before inserting them? Not soaking, just dunking them?

Vinator
What do you guys use for a sanitizer in your vinators? Sulphite, Starsan, Iodophor? Is there a preference?

I think that's it right now... mostly concerned about the corks. I think they will be fine (clean) but I don't want to have mouldy bottles in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance! This site rocks!

P.S. I'm excited to try out my Buon Vino FillJet... recently purchased off Kijiji for a whopping $40!!! It looked fairly clean and I have been running sanitizer through it for about a week now... should be good to go for tonight!

:b

Matt, I would just spray some k-meta into the bag (about 4 or 5 good squirts from a spray bottle) and let them sit in a covered pot for about 20 minutes. In my vinator, I use my normal k-meta sanitizing solution, i.e. 3 T k-meta to 1 gallon of water. I hit the bottles on the Vinator 2 or 3 pumps and invert them to drain on a tree or my homemade rack. Good luck. Always exciting to bottle your first wine.

Matt, I would just spray some k-meta into the bag (about 4 or 5 good squirts from a spray bottle) and let them sit in a covered pot for about 20 minutes. In my vinator, I use my normal k-meta sanitizing solution, i.e. 3 T k-meta to 1 gallon of water. I hit the bottles on the Vinator 2 or 3 pumps and invert them to drain on a tree or my homemade rack. Good luck. Always exciting to bottle your first wine.

Right on, thanks for the mix ratio for the k-meta too. I'll do this for sure!

Heading home shortly to commence, I'll try not to drink too much wine during the process!!

Awesome! The MiniJet was amazing!! Had myself couped up in a small room surrounded by carboys, minijet, corker, corks, sanatizer, vinator, and 90 bottles. Went in at 7:30 and emerged shortly after 8pm with 88 bottles of goodness! Everything worked flawlessly, the only addition I need is a good bottle tree... after sterilizing I was just putting them into a bucket and then filling them from there. Can't wait to try this with my buddy next time, with someone else corking I bet I could have peeled them off as fast as the minijet could fill them!

Anyways, just wanted to share my excitement. All three batches turned out great! Blackberry Merlot, Green Apple Reisling, and Chat Dormant. My wife and mom really like sweet wines.

General THANK YOU to this site, I have read up and down, left and right, and went from nothing to almost full setup using the knowledge here. I know I'll be doing this for years! (Beer too, can't wait!)

Latest posts

Back