First Crack at It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDawg10

Reaction score
First Crack at Making Wine

So after being enticed by some of Wade's wines and studying up on the forums here I will be starting my first wine kit tonight :try

I went out and picked up an Advintage FC Collection 23L Blanc de St Vincent wine kit. It is a blend of Pinot Gris and Sauvignon Blanc grapes. It is dry which is what I am looking for. The kit I was originally going to do was out of stock so I went with this one because it was recommended by the shop I bought it at.

I was debating leaving out the oak chips but am not 100% sure what I will be gaining or losing from doing this. The reason I am debating it is because I got a nice discount because the oak chips were missing ;) Are these grapes typically "oaked" when making wine? I thought it was mostly chardonnays that were on the oakey side for white wines and the kit does say it's optional.

Last edited:
If the wine originally came with oak, I would suspect the blend is centered around oak. You can still buy oak chips from most LHBS.

Welcome to the forum.

Oak chips aren't expensive, good luck with your kit!

If you're anything like me, you'll be overly anxious for the first month or two, and after that you'll have to start remembering how long it has been aging!

Be sure to start saving up those wine bottles in the mean time!

So I picked up 3oz of french oak on my way home tonight. Do I add the whole bag?

3 Tablespoons for 1gallon of sanitizing solution. Careful, vapors are harsh. I put the items in a bucket with a half gallon of solution, wet everything, and cover with a new trash bag and let it set for 15 minutes.

OK thanks...that way I can also sanitize the fermentation bucket at the same time ;)

Done and in the fermenter. SG was at 1.090. I guess I'm officially making wine. The only issue I came across with this kit is that the 23L bag of juice is very awkward with the top off because of the weight.

Looks like your on your way my friend. I personally dont like oak in these lighter style white wines but that is personal preference! As for how much to use if I were going to use it Id go with 1 ounce and remove when fermentation is done. You couls also wait until fermentation is done and add them after you taste it and decide then if you want to oak it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up getting in touch with Advintage to find out what oak it comes with. They said it was a 40 gram (1.5oz) bag of Perry Oak. Not sure if Perry is spelled right or not...lol. I put the whole 3oz in last night...when I get home this afternoon I'll pull half back out. Guess I should have called first :D

I figured I'd try the oak since that's how it was intended...like Robie said. If I end up not liking it I could always leave it out in the future. Especially since I'm really not 100% sure what flavor the oak adds to the wine.

Fermenting away in primary. I removed half the oak and put it back in the corner. Hurry up and wait!

The kit comes with a 1.5oz pack but mine was missing. I bought the 3oz pack at a local wine shop. I'm not sure if Perry was the right name because the woman I was speaking with had a heavy french Canadian accent. It may be something that sounds like that. She wasn't sure if it was French oak or not.

Thats right, now I remember. Huh, cant think of anything that sounds like that.

That and its a much softer oak so yes I do believe you made a good decision going with French oak. Ummm, I wouldnt follow my lead on this with fermenting to dry with the oak in this though, With whites I would follow the instructions and rack off the oak when stated. If it didnt have the oak it would be ok or if it was a big red it would be ok also as they are usually much lighter on the oak then most like their reds. All the reds youve had from me actually had additional oaking then what came with the kits.

Latest posts

Back