first blueberry f pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
Quick question. I just made a small f pack for my 2 gallons of blueberry wine. I now have some thick blueberry mush......I have read that you should strain out the chunks. How, I think its too thick. .. and does it matter. I will be bulk aging so I don't care how long it takes to clear.

Can I just add the chunks and all and rack in a month or so. Thanks

I would get a mesh strainer or some sort to get the big chunks the blue berry likes to float I have found and takes forever to settle.
or try pouring through a muslin bag.

yes you want to strain the pulp. make sure you add poectic enzyme

On the other hand!

FOR SUCH A SMALL BATCH DOING IT DIRECTLY SMASHING THE BERRIES IN A PLASTIC BAG AND JUST DROPPING THEM IN IS ALWAYS A OPTION,YOU'LL WILL GET BETTER COLOR AND ALL THE FLAVOR FROM THE BERRY,IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A COOK DOWN STYLE OF FPAC,NOT A PROBLEM EITHER PLACE IT ALL IN GET AS MUCH OUT OF THE MASH AS POSSIBLE,YES IT MAY CREATE A LITTLE MORE WORK ,BUT,ONCE AGAIN YOU'LL RECIEVE ALL THAT THE BERRY HAS TO GIVE,AT LEAST THATS MY TAKE,MORE THAN ONE WAY TO FPAC A WINE.:hug

On the other hand!

FOR SUCH A SMALL BATCH DOING IT DIRECTLY SMASHING THE BERRIES IN A PLASTIC BAG AND JUST DROPPING THEM IN IS ALWAYS A OPTION,YOU'LL WILL GET BETTER COLOR AND ALL THE FLAVOR FROM THE BERRY,IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A COOK DOWN STYLE OF FPAC,NOT A PROBLEM EITHER PLACE IT ALL IN GET AS MUCH OUT OF THE MASH AS POSSIBLE,YES IT MAY CREATE A LITTLE MORE WORK ,BUT,ONCE AGAIN YOU'LL RECEIVE ALL THAT THE BERRY HAS TO GIVE,AT LEAST THAT'S MY TAKE,MORE THAN ONE WAY TO FPAC A WINE.:hug

Cool thanks. I ended up adding PE when it cooled and let it sit for a few hours. Then I added a cup or so of the blueberry wine to thin it out and kind of strained out the big chunks with a fork. A few floaties but they should take care of themselves. The wine tasted pretty damn good as it was though.

Latest posts

Back