Other Finished Fermenting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upsidedown

Reaction score
I started a pinot grigio kit 7 days ago. The kit instructions say leave in Primary until sg of 1.010 -.990 and seven days. My sg is .990 I racked into a carboy. The kit instructions say to leave for an additional 11 days until all fermentation is over and sg is 996 to 990. My question is my sg is already at 990 is there any point to leave the yeast any longer or should I add the Potassium Sorbate and K meta now. Will leaving the yeast cells alive have a negative effect?

I don't quite understand the instruction to leave in primary until SG is 1.010 to .990. It should be transferred at the 1.010 mark, I believe.

The idea of moving it to secondary at that SG is the wine is at a point where the amount of CO2 being produced has diminished enough that it is no longer protecting the wine from oxygen (O2) exposure.

When you put it in a carboy an air lock is added, so O2 exposure becomes very limited.

By leaving the wine in primary until the SG is .990, the wine might have been exposed to O2 a little longer than what is best for the wine.

Some wine makers handle this a little differently by leaving the wine in the primary bucket, but at Sg 1.010, they seal down the lid and add an air lock.
This keeps O2 out fairly well, but not as well as in a narrow necked carboy. This works OK for reds, but because whites are a little more susceptible to oxidation, it is not quite as safe.

You wine is more than likely going to be just fine. Go ahead and put it in the carboy and leave it there for a week. Even though fermentation is done, nice characteristics are formed during that time of exposure to the yeast. Because fermentation is done, a week will be enough.

Be sure to add an air lock during secondary. Even though fermentation is completed, the wine will still give off CO2 until it is finally manually degassed, so topping off is not necessary until after secondary.

Last edited:
Yes I know the instructions are pretty messed up on one hand they say to leave in primary for 7 days and until sg is 1.010 or lower and in the next step it says to transfer to secondary but only if sg is 1.010 - .990

Thanks for your well thought out advice I was going to add the PS and K meta but now I think I will wait a few days

Here is a link to their instructions http://argentiaridge.com/cgi-bin/EN...t_desc=yes&item_id=60&start=0&searchfor=pinot

Last edited:
The proper method for determining when fermentation is completely done is to take the SG three days apart. On the last day it is taken, if the SG has not changed and it is at or below 1.000, fermentation is completed.

An SG of .990 is pretty hard to achieve. The lowest mine has ever gotten is .996 but that's just me and my hydrometer. The whole idea is fermentation is done when the SG stops dropping for three days in a row.

If the SG stops dropping and it is above 1.000, fermentation is stuck and the reason should be investigated.

I'd wait the 11 days and then continue with Day 18 instructions.

I'd wait the 11 days and then continue with Day 18 instructions.

That will work and probably not cause any serious problems. The 11 days is based on the wine starting at an SG of 1.010, still needing a week or so to actually finish fermenting. This wine is already finished fermenting, so the extra days could pose a problem if the wine is not topped-off. Right now the wine is not fermenting, but already starting to clear.

So, if he decides to do 11 days, I would top it off.

That will work and probably not cause any serious problems. The 11 days is based on the wine starting at an SG of 1.010, still needing a week or so to actually finish fermenting. This wine is already finished fermenting, so the extra days could pose a problem if the wine is not topped-off. Right now the wine is not fermenting, but already starting to clear.

So, if he decides to do 11 days, I would top it off.

I hear and understand what you're saying. I'm also thinking you follow the kit instructions and something goes wrong the manufacturer will replace the kit or refund your money. Maybe a call to the manufacturer's customer service would make the most sense?

Last edited:
I hear and understand what you're saying. I'm thinking you follow the kit instructions and something goes wrong the manufacturer will replace the kit or refund your money. Maybe a call to the manufacturer's customer service would make the most sense?

Don't want to argue the point any further; just think about what secondary alcoholic fermentation is all about; that should resolve the issue. I doubt there is any special circumstances with this kit that would make it much different from any other kit.

If UpSideDown feels my advice is not adequate, he/she should do whatever makes him/her feel comfortable. Contacting the manufacturer is always a good option.

Don't want to argue the point any further; just think about what secondary alcoholic fermentation is all about; that should resolve the issue. I doubt there is any special circumstances with this kit that would make it much different from any other kit.

If UpSideDown feels my advice is not adequate, he/she should do whatever makes him/her feel comfortable. Contacting the manufacturer is always a good option.

Robie, I'm the new guy and have much to learn. With respect to wine making I'd take your advice over mine all day long.

Thanks for your help. I know everyone always says to follow the kit instructions. But when the instructions only describe half of the reality I guess its time to invoke science. I was not sure if leaving the wine on the un-sorbated yeast would or could potential cause problems. But I am willing to leave it under air lock for a few days there is very little activity going on in there ( I vacuum splash rack) but I think I will leave it undisturbed for a few more days as there must be at least a little CO2 being produced? I probably have about 750ml of head space

The other kits of I have made Usually say within 5 to 7 days etc or an SG of 1010 or lower transfer to secondary. I think what threw me for a loop was the 7 days and sg of 1010 to 990 oh well I have another bag of this concentrate so next time I will transfer when the sg is between 1010 and 1000 and see what difference is if any

Robie, I'm the new guy and have much to learn. With respect to wine making I'd take your advice over mine all day long.

Wine making is one of those hobbies where there are many ways to get the job done; differently, but still done very well. Over time we each get comfortable with a particular procedure and our results become more consistent. That's where a new wine maker should want to get.

Once you have it down, it's fun to deviate a little from time to time to determine if maybe there might be a better way. In so many cases, there is going to be "a better way" - just maybe a way one wasn't ready to tackle before. Over time we can use this to really hone our skills.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back