Final SG for a Blueberry Elderberry Port?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I back sweetened my blueberry/elderberry port and put it on oak. It is very hard to tell how sweet the wine really is at this point so I played it cautious and only back sweetened to 1.015. That seems to be a little light on the sugar, but not sure what the standard is for a fruit port. The extra body makes it really hard to tell how sweet it really is. Any thoughts or prior experience?

My thoughts are very simple on this; it's real easy to add more sugar later if it's not sweet enough, BUT nearly impossible to remove sugar later if it's to sweet.

For me I shoot for a final S.G. between 1.020 and 1.030 for my port style wines. But that may be a little miss leading. What I do is start fermenting and when ever the S.G. falls below 1.020 I bring it back up to 1.030. At some point it stops somewhere between the two. I then add brandy to bring the ABV up to 20%, and any time I have to top up I use brandy. I age at least a year and then if it needs to be sweeter I do it then.

Last edited:
Blueberry needs sweet for the flavor to come out. I don't know why, it just does. I don't like sweet wine so I make it for the masses(small town not church)I would shot for 1.025 or 1.03

Latest posts

Back