Filtering?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattw

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first batch of wine...in the tutorials they mention filtering a couple of times...do I need to filter the wine? It is a Mosti Mondiale Merlot kit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Filtering is not necessary especially for dark reds. Some whites get filtered to make them really sparkle. Just adequate clearing time will get very good results so filtering is not needed, but can be done if you wish.

Im with appleman I have made 6 kits so far ranging from sweet to dry and I have never used a filter. Racking the wine like the instructions say works just fine. All my wine has turned out very clear and clean.

I have made over 25 kits and have never filtered. All of my wines have come out really clear. I did get a mini jet jet filter for Christmas that I will be using to make my clear wines really sparkle. I am hoping to enter some local competitions for the first time this summer.

I in fact just started filtering my whites. I have a "plate type" filter system and I filter it with my vacuum pump rather than the pressure pump some sell. I can get different degrees of filtering pads and it does a terrific job. The draw back is you loose some wine. You soak the pads before filtering so the first bit of wine filtered is diluted a bit, then the pads are saturated with good wine when complete. so you loose what's left on the pads. It's a couple of ounces. What I do is a few batches of whites at the same time as the pads are good for more than 5 gallons, beginning with the lighter one first. Yes, you do get a very small blend but it's not noticeable. I think I read it also reduces the "wine diamonds" that whites show. I still like to "cold stabilize" though.

Latest posts

Back