Pineapple wine and filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is an economical filter, or filter system, to clear out pineapple wine. My recipe book also suggests filtering with a chokecherry wine, which I plan on next year. Thoughts and experiences?

i use a whole house filter housing that uses 2.5 x 10 inch spun polyproline filters, i use 1 micron for whites and 5 microns for reds, but pineapple is a chore, i keep 20 micron filters and 10 micron filters, so for pineapple i start with the highest micron filter the 20 micron, then change down to the 10 micron filter then the 5 and lastly the 1 micron filter, filtering pineapple is very costly. that is why i hardly ever make pineapple anymore,,, now I've not a clue about using pineapple juice or pineapple concentrate. they should be much easier. i would think, but i don't know, but using pineapples is a expensive chore, i buy my filters by the 25 count box, and man have they got expensive . on e-bay....
Dawg
lemon and pineapple hides great amounts of alcohol taste, so the ABV can be run up much higher, i use 1/2 gallon off 190 proof PGA/EVERCLEAR to each 6 gallon of skeeter pee.,,,
pineapple just eats up to many filters for me,
Dawg

I made a pineapple wine just once in August 2022. I added 3 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme in the 6 gallon bucket and superkleer (in 2 steps 12 hrs apart) to clear the wine. It was clear within 10 days. It was made from fresh pineapples.

I opted not to filter but added some bentonite, let it set for 12 days, gave it a hard twist halfway thru, and it came out quite clear. I got a plate filter that was absolute junk. After 10 minutes, I gave up on filtering, it proved to be a complete waste of time and money. Sent it back for a refund. I’ll let you decide, but I think the clarity in the photo, says a lot about how the bentonite worked.

Attachments

• IMG_7482.jpeg
    IMG_7482.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7485.jpeg
    IMG_7485.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7464.jpeg
    IMG_7464.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 0
Looks great! Yours is slightly lighter in color than mine. In my recipe I added some dried raisins that darkened the wine a little bit. My wine is already 16 month old but I find it a little bit tarty. It is much smoother than it was 6 month ago but I decided to age it longer. I'm curious how is yours. I like your label by the way.

I have decided that filtering wine causes a turbulence and that introduces oxygen to the mix. I could be way wrong about that.
Anyway so not to do that, I just let it rest a while and wait for it to drop out.
OK, so I do not have a filtering system that does not seem to be so closed ended that air bubbles do not get in there. So it just might be a matter of investment. My experience is relax, add some finings and drink a glass of wine. Couple of weeks later revisit the carboy and make a decision then.

My experience with filtering by years of experience
year 1, oh my god, oh my god will I ever be able to drink this anytime soon, must buy expensive equipment
year 2, humm, seems I wasted a lot of money on filters, let me try some Finings and sell these filters
year 3, Looks like that is settling out real good, give it another month
year ............, Wow I did not know I had a carboy of that still aging, quick get some wine glasses and lets clean 20 bottles
present day, Carboy empty, time to start a wine

Looks great! Yours is slightly lighter in color than mine. In my recipe I added some dried raisins that darkened the wine a little bit. My wine is already 16 month old but I find it a little bit tarty. It is much smoother than it was 6 month ago but I decided to age it longer. I'm curious how is yours. I like your label by the way.
Mine is not overly sweet, and somewhat lite in flavor. I did a second sugar feeding during the secondary fermentation. I realized I made a slight mistake by using the wrong Carboy, so had to add pineapple juice to top it off. Overall, for the first batch of pineapple, I will definitely make it again.

I have decided that filtering wine causes a turbulence and that introduces oxygen to the mix. I could be way wrong about that.
Anyway so not to do that, I just let it rest a while and wait for it to drop out.
OK, so I do not have a filtering system that does not seem to be so closed ended that air bubbles do not get in there. So it just might be a matter of investment. My experience is relax, add some finings and drink a glass of wine. Couple of weeks later revisit the carboy and make a decision then.

My experience with filtering by years of experience
year 1, oh my god, oh my god will I ever be able to drink this anytime soon, must buy expensive equipment
year 2, humm, seems I wasted a lot of money on filters, let me try some Finings and sell these filters
year 3, Looks like that is settling out real good, give it another month
year ............, Wow I did not know I had a carboy of that still aging, quick get some wine glasses and lets clean 20 bottles
present day, Carboy empty, time to start a wine
I tell you what, the finings did a very good job in my opinion. Giving it a few hard twists during that period, removed the sediment that stuck on the walls of the Carboy. The recipe I used called for filtering after fining….i don’t see any real purpose for that. Another interesting thing I found, I just started a Winexpert kit, (raspberry, dragonfruit, Shiraz), that uses bentonite during the primary, and kieselsol chitosan in the clearing step. Thought it was odd, but also tells me that all these finings can be used in succession. Will be useful in future projects.

I use finings but not on all wines. When I do use them I do the 2 step process, bentonite is normally first followed by isinglass or something else. Bentonite is my go to.

Latest posts

Back