Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Hopefully they use a lot of the ones that the labels come right off!

Dang right there's a huge advantage to filtering and bottling at the same time. It's a one step process for setting up and cleaning. AH....or are you not able to filter and bottle at the same time? If you have a seperate filter like the Buon Vino then go ahead and filter your three batches ahead of time. Start with the lightest and finish with the darkest and you won't have to change your filter pads.

I plan to only bottle one batch at a time. I do everything by myself so one batch usually takes me the best part of a Saturday. I thought this saturday I would filter all three batches but only bottle one. Just filter the other two back into another carboy for a couple more weeks. I ordered the under counter type filter y'all suggested in earlier posts.

Quick question

Do you guys use any kind of pump, or do you just use gravity with this setup?

Some use the gravity filters but many of us use a vacuum pump which pulls the wine through the filter. If you look at the banners at the top of the page, one will appear that's called the All-in-one which aids you in racking, filtering, bottling and degassing.

ok got my filter in the mail today. lot bigge rthan i thought. will run some k-meta thru it tonight and my grapefruit wine tomorrow. question..i am guessing when it is done sucking the tie wine that the housing will be full of wine (or does it drain out?), if so is that wasted wine or what??

Some will remain in the filter canister. That's your reward for doing such a good job. Pour it into a glass. Enjoy!! :dg

Vacuumpumpman came up with a great idea and threaded a pipe from the top down to the bottom on his housing so it would suck up just about everything.

the tube is installed so it pulls the wine from the lowest part of the housing ,so there is very little wine left in the housing when done filtering. The 2nd purpose it also will pull less co2 bubbles as the air is sometimes trapperd in the upper 1/2 of the housing

thanks steve

As long as the tubes are secure, you can invert the filter to get the last of the wine through the filter. Mine isn't mounted like Wade's, so it's easier to do ....

But, if you invert it, is it actually going through the filter and not around it? I don't know. I'm just asking.

Mike: it is still going thru the filter,if you hold it upside down. The problem with using a vacuum system if you try that you will typically pull in alot of air and that is my main objective that I am trying to avoid.

Or if your housing does suck in a little air - you will not notice it as much because most of the air is at the top ( it also be co2 that was released because it was being pulled thru a filter under vacuum )

thanks steve

Hmmmm ... I see LESS air with filter housing inverted. Whatever works for YOU is what you should use!

Steve, how did you cut the large thread in the filter housing?

Steve, how did you cut the large thread in the filter housing?

That would be using a 1/2 npt tap
and buying a plastic pipe from hardware store and cutting it to length

Yes Bob if you hold the filter housing upside down while filtering it will pull in less air (my bad ) but I have a problem trying to hold a housing upside down and doing 2 other things at the same time

My housing is also mounted similar to Wades - but like you said- whatever works for YOU>

That would be using a 1/2 npt tap
and buying a plastic pipe from hardware store and cutting it to length

Thanks for the details. Tapped and installed in my filter housing today. Very simple, and a great idea. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back