RJ Spagnols Filtering Reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
Been reading on the pros and cons of filtering Reds. Couple questions for everyone;

1. Have any of you filtered your red kits? (I'm only looking at it from the high end ones En Primeur or CC Winery Series)

2. If so, did you do a taste comparison with ones that weren't filtered?

3. What filter mechanism and size filter did you use.

4. What were your results?

Plain and simple every wine I make goes through a .45 micron filter in my Enolmatic. All commercial wines goes through filtration usually a plate and frame filter. Many home winemakers only go through a 1 micron filter because thats all they can buy for their system. Probably half the folks don't filter at all but age and rack numerous times with good results. Then there is the wine that you drink what you can and then roll the rest of it up and either eat it or smoke it.

Last edited:
Despite the fact I've never followed through (yet) on acquiring the All-in-One system, I still use a small Buon Vino mini jet filter system which houses a set of 3 filter pads in a plate assembly and I filter ALL my wines even if they look exceptionally clear in the carboys. I reason (rightly or wrongly - opinion I guess) that when I rack out for bottling using a syphon/bottle filler, I might still inadvertently pick up sediments so to avoid that, I filter regardless of appearance. The only taste comparisons I'm able to do is compare the same wine blend made by my sons father-in-law who still does the old traditional method used by Italian wine makers. My opinion is that mine (filtered) do not seem to be as rough on mouth feel and drink quite smoothly. Jerry :dg

I have gone back and forth on filtering. I have the Whole House type filter, got it on line from Filters Fast. There is a thread detailing this set up. When I started filtering I filtered everything, whites and reds. At some point I filtered an Amarone and felt that I missed the thick mouth-feel that is important to me in big reds. I can't really say that I noticed a flavor loss. So now I only filter whites and lighter reds. Amarone, Super Tuscan, Brunello, Nero D'Avola never see the filter. That being said if I know I want to submit something to competition I will filter a bottle or two for that purpose.

I have been debating this same issue with myself. I don't know why but most of the wines and ports that have real aging potential seem to be filtered less than those meant for immediate consumption. For instance LBV Ports that are unfiltered will age much better than the filtered LBVs.

Is this filter don't filter just a non-kit issue? Except for a goof with my very first kit none of the 7 subsequent kits that I've done have not dropped any sediment. The reds , whites and one blush look just fine in the bottle and wine glass.

Last edited:
I have filtered about half my wines, I dont think theres any taste difference if you do it right.

Is this filter don't filter just a non-kit issue? Except for a goof with my very first kit none of the 7 subsequent kits that I've done have not dropped any sediment. The reds , whites and one blush look just fine in the bottle and wine glass.
No its specifically a kit issue (or rather question).
I haven't filtered yet, and am thinking about it. I only do En Primeur or Winery Series kits. I bulk age for a year, (with about half of that in a now neutral barrel), and age an additional year in the bottle.

My first kits are passing that 2 year mark now, and while surprised at how good the wine is, I would say there is still a little cloudiness compared to commercial wines.

I don't necessarily have to, but was wondering if others had filtered and if 1. it cleared up the reds, and 2. did it have any adverse effects.

Reading in the commercial winemaking trade articles, it seems like something that no one agrees on, and everyone has a different opinion.

I was just curious how the kit wine would be affected.

VIA
I think the RJS EPs benefit more from cold stabilizing than filtering. The EPs drop lots of wine diamonds. You could certainty do both as I recently did with a Mosti Meglioli. Even after filtering i cold stabilized and it dropped about 1/2 cup of wine diamonds. In time all of that would have settled in my bottles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back