Filter Plus Pump - I Read and I Know Just Don't Get It all

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneergirl

Reaction score
Was told today that I would be receiving a filter for Mother's Day (to add to collection - likely to filter both beer and wine). Done some quick research on this forum and see the subject of Filter AND Pump tied to together and I just can't seem to wrap my head around the filter portion.

From what I see, a vaccuum pump would be a great addition to my winemaking. Could also be used for racking beer too. I even saw some photos and I just don't get the filter integration part of it. I can't even put my lack of understanding into words. The "whole house filter". What exactly is this and what makes up this component? How do you integrate this into the vaccuum pump to begin with? And is is "portable" enough? How big is this filter set up? I don't want him to spend money on some random filter when this type of set up would be a better long term investment for both our beer and wine use.

Sorry, I need this explained to me like I am a third grader - the filter housing and attaching part anyway. Let's assume I would purchase the all in one vaccuum pump that says it can be used to filter too.

I am emailing you a pdf that has all the links on it to buy a complete filter set-up

I was able to send it as a jpeg - this is mainly the complete setup and price as well
I would like to thank Wade for getting all these great links on this filter system !

filter housing.jpg

filter housing assemblies- complete 2.jpg

Last edited:
With a filter set up like this (Whole house) you need a pump (preferably vacuum) as gravity wont get your wine or beer through it and to your carboy. I say preferably as you could push wine throw the pump but that usually requires your wine being in contact with an impeller or pushing your wine with air. While the impeller isnt as bad as 02 as that could oxidize your wine or beer the impeller kind of beats up beverage. The gravity filter works but takes a long time and the pads dont seem to sit right for some people and also sometimes leaves fibers in the wine.

Vacuumpumpman has the right filter there, and basically it goes in-line.

So theres a hose attached to a racking cane in carboy full of wine-to-be-filtered - this hose is connected to the filter & the other end connects to a hose that runs to a racking cane in the receiving carboy.. A hose from the top of the receiving carboy runs to your vacuum pump overfill container, and that is connected to your vacuum pump itself.

Unfiltered Carboy - Filter - Filtered Carboy - Overfill - Vacuum Pump

Thanks Deezil ;
I did PM her almost the same exact thing that you just mentioned. I hope to have a picture of that setup soon.

Okay, I forwarded all this info on to my husband to take in. He gets it. I get it now too! Thanks!!!!!

I'm in the process of writing a "How-to" for the whole house wine filter setup.

I've tested this a few times with water and it seems to do fine with just gravity. When I tried with the vacuum pump, it created a lot of cavitation and seemed too harsh as it was sucking the wine through the filter housing. Gravity feed is a more relaxed and enjoyable experience for me.

I used a racking cane in the carboy and a bottle filling wand in the bottle. I do use the vacuum pump to charge the system and get the wine flowing but after that, it's just the valve in the bottle filling wand to start and stop the flow.

As soon as I have a batch ready for bottling, I will take the videos and finish the tutorial.

wine_filter06.jpg

So, will this set up work with my allinone pump or not? I'm a bit confused.

ChiuManFu, Love the picture. I needed to see a visual! I don't have anything that is ready to bottle (maybe at end of May into June). I am not in a rush (I suspect my husband is more in a rush to filter/bottle his beer and is using the nearest "hallmark holiday" as a cover for the purchase).

Been looking for this picture for a while now. It's a pic of Wade's; just insert the filter set up pictured above between the two carboys.

2233d1303294244-carboy-lifter-pump-set-up.jpg

Deezil you beat me to it, but since I took pictures I am going to post it as well. For those who have probles pulling excessice co2 while filtering can add this plastic pipe in the middle of the filter housing (instead of turning it upside down ) These filter and housings are made to be used with any vacuum pumps or pressure pumps as well , but you should read the article that wade mentions about the pressure pump,beating up the wine . I believe that if I had to gravity feed the filter process it would take a long time (depending on the micron being used - typically 1 micron ) and the extended contact time with the air as well.

pump with filter [400x360].jpg

filter housing[210x280].JPG

Last edited:
I dont ever have that problem of all the air like some of you state, are you soaking the filter? You really need to IMO. Its like when you use one of these set ups in your house water system, you basically will have to bleed the system or run thye water for a minute to get the air out. By soaking them first it eliminates 90% of that.

It takes about 15 seconds to fill a bottle with my gravity setup. This is with water so I'm not yet sure if there will be differences with wine. It's slow compared to the vacuum trials I did, but I find it is much more controlled and gentler on the wine.

I don't have a tap and die set so I can't add the pipe as vacuumpumpman suggest. I just turn the filter upside down which works just as well when all the air is properly bled out of the housing.

When I have a batch ready to bottle, I will take videos of both methods and show you what I'm talking about.

Parts---
Pentek 158326 - filter housing
Pentek PD-5-934 - 5 micron filter
Pentek PD-1-934 - 1 micron filter
1/4" NPT to Hose Barb x 2 - Thanks Wade!!!
Racking Tube
Bottle Filling Wand
Tubing

wine_filter05.jpg

Last edited:
I know that the Viscosity is different between wine and water and also how much sugar is in the wine as well. I personally dont think that you would get far before the filter decided to stop flowing, without an additional aid . But I would like to see the outcome of your study.
Make sure you you note alachol % and residual sugar and how old the wine is and of course the micron size filter you are testing as well

How much tubing is needed in addition to what already came with the ALLINONE?

You would probably only need an extra 3 foot chunk of tubing to insert the filter between the racking canes.

On a side note. I've done some more testing and the 1 micron filter flows way too slow for a pure gravity feed. I've decided on a standard practice of filtering during a vacuum racking as shown by Steve and then bottling. I still prefer to bottle with an autosiphon and bottling wand.

For now, I'm with you on the bottling. I'm going to stick with the syphon and bottling wand. Seems to keep the mess at a minimum. And it gives me a little time to sip some of the new brew while I'm bottling. ;-)

For now, I'm with you on the bottling. I'm going to stick with the syphon and bottling wand. Seems to keep the mess at a minimum. And it gives me a little time to sip some of the new brew while I'm bottling. ;-)

I realized you both agreed on using the bottling wand vs the vacuum bottling attachement , can I as why ? have you tried it yet ?

These are my postives on Vacuum Wine bottling set-up
* no lifting carboy on table - it stays on the floor
* you bottle while standing - no bending over - hurting your back
* less oxygen contact
* all your bottles are at a consistent height.
* no spillage -at all - especially between bottles
* no wiping down bottles prior to labeling
* takes approx 15 seconds per bottle to fill
* fills any size bottle
* adjustable fill height
* no moving parts - long life
* easy clean-up
* it only 42 dollars which includes shipping
http://allinonewinepump.com/accessories.html

Just curious if you already have a vacuum pump - why not ?

Wade E said:
With a filter set up like this (Whole house) you need a pump (preferably vacuum) as gravity wont get your wine or beer through it and to your carboy. I say preferably as you could push wine throw the pump but that usually requires your wine being in contact with an impeller or pushing your wine with air. While the impeller isnt as bad as 02 as that could oxidize your wine or beer the impeller kind of beats up beverage. The gravity filter works but takes a long time and the pads dont seem to sit right for some people and also sometimes leaves fibers in the wine.

Ok. I have an Allinone vacuum pump on order (probably arriving tomorrow). I have an older power filter (Buon Vino Mini jet) that I have had for about 15 years ( i haven't used it in the last 12 years). This pumps the wine through an impeller (I think). Would I be better off adding the whole house filter setup to my Allinone and getting rid of the power filter?

Famineguy ; I would recommend the whole house filtration system as it does not leak like the Buon Vino Mini jet and you can do alot more gallons throuh it as well. It is also alot faster as well.
I personally own the Buon Vino Mini jet and the super jet as well - and I still will go back and use the whole house filtration system

Considering you have not used it in 12 years - there is a good chance that the motor could be locked up on it as well.

Latest posts

Back