fermenting dry in a primary that doesn't seal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miccbull

Reaction score
Can I ferment to dry in a primary that doesn't seal (eg not air tight/no airlock)? Usually I use a bucket that seals with an airlock to try and get down to 0.995, then rack to carboy and kmeta.

I wanted to make a larger batch, so I needed a larger bucket and this bucket doesn't seal. Will the air getting at it when fermentation is slow damage it? If so at which specific gravity should I move it to carboy?

I am fermenting juices (so I have no instructions) with EC1118, starting SG of 1.086, currently around 1.04 (too much foam to know for sure), a few days in.

I ferment to dry on just about every batch...no lid, no air lock...just a towel over the top..
Has not failed in , have no idea how many batches.

I have had several batches go dry in the brute. I would prefer to get them under airlock by about 1.010 as others have said but sometimes my work schedule gets in the way of my wine making time.
Just get it in a Carboy with airlock as soon as posable

I've been fermenting to dry in a primary that doesn't seal for as long as I've been making wine, even when I was running a Ferment on Premises. I haven't been doing it deliberately, it just works out that way a lot of times.

For example, start a wine kit one weekend, and check back the next weekend to find that the sg has dropped to .992. Not a problem. Because I don't mess with the wine all week, there's a layer of CO2 and the SO2 to protect the wine.

If you're messing with the wine, eg stirring daily or checking the sg daily, then not so much.

Steve

cpfan i agree with you...out of all the things making wine the moving to secondary to finish ferment is the most confusing for me...Why..
First I understand the two stages of ferment...
I have made wine, moved to secondary at 1.110 and ferment to dry.
I have made wine and fermented to dry in primary.
One way takes 10 to 15 days
One way takes 5 to 8
Both taste the same, both have the same abv..and both are .990
So for me..its go dry in the primary
Not advising others, but it works for me.

I've done and mentioned this a few times and it'll give you the best of both. I use masking tape to seal a couple of buckets I use that do not have a seal. Just wrap around a couple of times till tight and leave it alone till you rack. The opinions seem to be split but sealing it up can't hurt to be cautious.
Mike

I think you'll be okay...

My very first kit started last year almost to the day was done that way. Turns out the rubber gasket had maybe a one inch gap. I kept wondering why my airlock didn't bubble but didn't see the problem until after I racked from the bucket and was washing the bucket and lid. Wine turned out just fine (though there was another issue after bottling). LHBS gave me a new gasket even though I got the bucket from a friend who was starting me on the hobby.

I think you're fine as is. I have done both primary to dry and rack at or near 1.010 to secondary. Whatever suites my schedule at the time. I have never noticed any difference in end product. With that said I will add that I always rack to secondary AND top up for two or three weeks whether it's already dry or at 1.010. I feel a few weeks of rest (for the wine and me) before stabilizing/clearing is a good thing.

Thanks everyone! It is at 1.035 today so I gave it one last good stir. I'll let it sit until Wednesday, so lees have time to settle. Then rack provided it gets to at least 1.01. I think in a week it will likely be dry though!

Latest posts

Back