fermentation temperature?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samh200

Reaction score
What is the perfect temperature for primary and secondary during fermentation?? There at 72-73f holding that good but the fermentation seems a little slow about 60 bubbles a minute should i raise the temperature??

I am sure it depends on what you are fermenting, but I have played around with a couple of my batches and I like the taste of cooler fermented cherry (not yet finished but tasted a few times) and peach wine. I have seen were a couple other people like cooler fermented wines too. Also some things like skeeter pee need a little warmer temperature to get going sometimes. I think it is warm enough, in my opinion, if you are getting 60 bubbles a minute.

Thanks for the reply... (primary 100% White Grape an Peach juice) (secondary 100% Welch Grape Juice)

I'll run my skeeter pees at around 80F. I agree that some wines do better at lower temps. Particularly if you have an f-pack, and are looking for maximum skin extraction, you might want the primary to ferment a bit slower. I use different yeasts for different wines, depending on how quickly I want it do go dry. Wine with skins or raisins---slow. Juice only batches---fast.

Just a note from Danger...

Banana wine temp

Well, I think I've got my first stuck fermentation now...

I started this must a little high, Sg 1.113

I used Red Star Pasteur Champagne 59-86° 13-15% Medium-Low
http://www.winemakermag.com/guide/yeast

The it's on it's 7th day in the primary ferment bucket and the SG has been sitting at 1.080 for a few days now.

After looking at the specs for this yeast, I see I've warmed it up too much. I took a temp reading of the surrounding warm water I put in my utility sink around the bucket to warm the must, and it was 95°.

Have I killed this yeast, or will it take back off?

Or just correct my temps, rack out and add another packet of yeast?

Last edited:
Well, I think I've got my first stuck fermentation now...

I started this must a little high, Sg 1.113

I used Red Star Pasteur Champagne 59-86° 13-15% Medium-Low
http://www.winemakermag.com/guide/yeast

The it's on it's 7th day in the primary ferment bucket and the SG has been sitting at 1.080 for a few days now.

After looking at the specs for this yeast, I see I've warmed it up too much. I took a temp reading of the surrounding warm water I put in my utility sink around the bucket to warm the must, and it was 95°.

Have I killed this yeast, or will it take back off?

Or just correct my temps, rack out and add another packet of yeast?

Joe
I think I would give it a little yeast energizer and some yeast nutrient. Give it a good stir and if that doesn't get it going, make up a good yeast starter and repitch it. Arne.

I added a little of both already. Think if it's still at the same point this evening, I'll pitch another yeast. Thanks for the reply.

Sam, I don't think you mentioned what variety of grapes or the yeast strain you are utilizing. The yeast strain has a lot to do with what is the correct temperature. If it is EC-1118, the mid 70's F is a good starting temperature; it can run 10-12F degrees hotter without problems after fermentation gets ramped up.

Robie...(primary 100% White Grape an Peach juice) (secondary 100% Welch Grape Juice)

montrachet....yeast

Latest posts

Back