Fermentation - Strong Cap but Brix is 0

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 days in Cab Franc and Merlot 5 gallons each the cap is strong, but the refractometer reads 0 time to press?
Welcome to WMT!

A refractometer is great for measuring brix in grapes and juice, but once fermentation starts, the alcohol skews the reading and you have to use a table to get a correct SG reading.

When to press is subjective and depends on both your goal and the situation. What is your goal? Making full-bodied reds? Then follow Craig's (@cmason1957) and give it another couple of days. If you want a lighter bodied red, press immediately.

… the refractometer reads 0…
I’m wondering how you get a 0 (Zero) reading on a refractometer unless it’s pure water or the refractometer is faulty.
I use a refractometer all the time to monitor fermentation progress and my wines, all reds and starting at 24.5-25.5 BRIX and all of them are finished at an APPARENT refractometer reading of around 9.0 +/- IIRC, which converts to an SG of around 0.996 +/-
Of course I use a hydrometer to determine true FG but in my experience the conversion calculator is very accurate.
This makes me think you are not getting an accurate reading on your refractometer.

I’m wondering how you get a 0 (Zero) reading on a refractometer unless it’s pure water or the refractometer is faulty.
I use a refractometer all the time to monitor fermentation progress and my wines, all reds and starting at 24.5-25.5 BRIX and all of them are finished at an APPARENT refractometer reading of around 9.0 +/- IIRC, which converts to an SG of around 0.996 +/-
Of course I use a hydrometer to determine true FG but in my experience the conversion calculator is very accurate.
This makes me think you are not getting an accurate reading on your refractometer.
Yes conversion rate on refractometer 10.5 equates to 0 brix. Therefore the original question of still strong cap but Brix at 0. Merlot 5 gallons

Yes conversion rate on refractometer 10.5 equates to 0 brix. Therefore the original question of still strong cap but Brix at 0. To press after 10 days or wait a few more. Melot 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back