Fermentation Not working!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxxx

Junior
Reaction score
Edit: 6 days later I re-pitched the same yeast (lalvin 1118) and it started bubbling 3 days after that.
Finnally Got some action after 10 days!

My problem was:
Welches white grape DOES have preservatives in both the bottles and frozen concentrate.
Welches Black Grape DOES NOT have preservatives, I read the black grape can and assumed it was the same for white grape.

For anyone with the same problem, if you are using welches white grape with preservatives do this; add it to your primary with appropriate water, get a fish tank bubbler from walmart and oxygenate it (15 minutes +-), Create a starter from a juice that DOES NOT have preservatives (Welches white grape, peach, and apple blend doesn't). Pitch yeast to starter, add starter two days later to the primary that has been siting for 2 days with an airlock.

/Edit

I made 3 different batches at once. Beer, White wine, apple wine.
The Beer is bubbleing away like crazy the past few days. The wine's are not fermenting!

My Wine recipe (Mary's recipe):
(Im using Welch's since this is my first wine and a am just testing the water)

X7 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Welch-s-Frozen-100-White-Grape-Juice-Concentrate-11.5-fl-oz/10804405
X1
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Welch-s-Bottled-White-Grape-Juice-100-96-oz/10292362
X1
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Welch-s-Bottled-White-Grape-Peach-Juice-100-Blend-64-oz/10292361
-Acid Blend
-Wine Tannin
-Beer nutrient (Wyest, nothing for wine unfortuantley)
-5 Campden tables crushed
-1118 lalvin
-SG 1.080 before yeast

Pitched yeast 1 hour after adding 5 campden tablets. I assumed this was my problem, so I re-pitched yeast 30hours later (1118).
Still not bubbling!

What could be the problem?

Last edited:
How warm is your must. Sometimes you have to warm it up to get it started. Try for upper 70's, maybe even 80 or so. Your yeast could be bad too. If it doesn't start by warming it, try making a starter. Cup or so of warm, 100 degree water, little sugar, if you have it some yeast energizer and yeast nutrient, and pitch the yeast in. If it starts, add a little must after a couple of hours, then add again after a couple hours, wait a while and pitch it into your must. Should make it take off. Good luck, Arne

Don't go off the bubbling - check your SG - sometimes it can take a few days before you actually see signs of fermentation.

Go off the SG readings.

How warm is your must. Sometimes you have to warm it up to get it started. Try for upper 70's, maybe even 80 or so. Your yeast could be bad too. If it doesn't start by warming it, try making a starter. Cup or so of warm, 100 degree water, little sugar, if you have it some yeast energizer and yeast nutrient, and pitch the yeast in. If it starts, add a little must after a couple of hours, then add again after a couple hours, wait a while and pitch it into your must. Should make it take off. Good luck, Arne

I will try and warm it up a bit I guess, will use a fishtank heater. ($10 walamrt)

Don't go off the bubbling - check your SG - sometimes it can take a few days before you actually see signs of fermentation.

Go off the SG readings.
SG seems to have not changed at all.. I will check it 24 hours from now and see if it moves from 1.080

Thanks!

Any other suggestions are welcome/

You can try setting it in some kind of tank with warm water in it. If you get it going, it will probably keep going with the heat from fermentation helping. I usually ferment cooler than what is recomended, takes a little longer, but usually works. Arne.

I would recommend a brewers belt and get the temp up to 70+. I would add two packs of the same yeast you used. I only make kit wine so far and after the first one was a bit slow in the primary I have switched to adding a second pack of whatever yeast that comes with the kit. Since then I start to get C02 in 2 to 4 hours.

Even with slow to ferment honey in mead I get CO2 in 24 hours when I double up on the yeast.

brew belt is the way to go. You can slide it up or down the bucket to control temperatures.

So, I have a question about k-meta and yeast. I'm in sort of the same situation but I sanitized my primary and concocted a potion of peach wine from a cheap kit. I forgot to rinse the SO2 from the container. Would that have anything to do with stalled fermentation? Just expanding what you said about the campden tablets:

Pitched yeast 1 hour after adding 5 campden tablets

thanks!

Brewers belt will take time to ship in since I dont have a local supply nearby. I will use a fish tank thermostat. They maintain a specific temperature..

still not bubbling today.

If It doesn't start by tomorrow Im going to warm it to 80 degrees F. and get a fish tank bubble maker and oxygenate it.

So, I have a question about k-meta and yeast. I'm in sort of the same situation but I sanitized my primary and concocted a potion of peach wine from a cheap kit. I forgot to rinse the SO2 from the container. Would that have anything to do with stalled fermentation? Just expanding what you said about the campden tablets:

No MGieni09, there won't have been enought so2 to cause a stalled fermentation. The 5 campdem tablets were a higher dose that what was left over from a rinse.

xoxxx, are you sure there was no sorbate added to the juices that you used?

Potassium Metabisulfite is in the Welch's Bottled 100% White Grape and the White Grape Juice Concentrate.

The best option you have is to start a good yeast starter, and add some of your juice slowly till you end up with about a gallon, Then slowly add that back in to the primary.

It takes a while and is slow going , But I have done this and had good success with it.

xoxxx

Visual signs of fermentation can be misleading. Specific gravity readings are the best. Do you have a hydrometer?

Steve

I'm out of town for a few days unfortunately, I will take the sg 3 days from now.

There may have been sorbate added to the one bottle of juice that I used, not to sure..

Do you think It is a problem that I have left it in a sanitary buck with an airlock possibly not fermenting for over 1.5 weeks?

I'm out of town for a few days unfortunately, I will take the sg 3 days from now.

There may have been sorbate added to the one bottle of juice that I used, not to sure..

Do you think It is a problem that I have left it in a sanitary buck with an airlock possibly not fermenting for over 1.5 weeks?

probably not, but you will know when you get home! :tz

If there is no sg change when I get back I will try and create a starter and slowly add more until it's one gallon.

What is the best way for me to create a starter?

Is it to late for me to oxygenate the white grape juice?

Thanks!

figured out what the problem was and posted it in the main post for future refrence.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back