Fermentation fountain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjallen

Junior
Reaction score
Fermentation fountain, 11.3 liter Carboy, apple juice and one kilo of raw sugar. Third day of fermentation. Any ideals to avoid more spills?

image-3854518669.jpg

Use a bucket instead of carboy for the first week or so of fermentation.

Something like this for 5 gallon or smaller

WI_Wino said:
Use a bucket instead of carboy for the first week or so of fermentation.

Something like this for 5 gallon or smaller

It's gone back into the bucket, I must have been fooled by a slow build up. As I started in a bucket, but after a few days went into the Carboy.
Then fermentation took off after another few days.
So back into the bucket.

Yep, they do that sometimes. I use my hydrometer and transfer to carboy at 1.010 or so. Maybe a little higher if it's taking more than 7 days.

11.3 is that like 3 gallons.
3 gallon batch of apple...i would think you would need at least 2 kilos of sugar.

jamesngalveston said:
11.3 is that like 3 gallons.
3 gallon batch of apple...i would think you would need at least 2 kilos of sugar.

It's like 2.5 gallons and I had a specific gravity ready of 1.080 prior to fermentation.
It's going well back in my little fermentation bucket

image-1866527841.jpg

And behaving, prolly has some transfer shock. But will be ok in a a day or so.

Whether in a bucket or in glass, you don't need an air lock until the SG is about 1.010 or lower. Until then, just put a cloth over the hole to keep critters out.

Jjallen, I think that trying to ferment any volume of must in a carboy of the same volume is asking for trouble. You can expect that the CO2 the wine produces will create very large waterfalls of wine. I would always pitch my yeast in a bucket that was at least a gallon or more larger than the volume of must I had prepared for fermentation. And that said, I wouldn't add an airlock to the bucket. In fact I would cover the bucket with a clean towel or dish towel to keep dirt out while allowing me to easy access to the wine to mix air into it several times a day. Securing a lid and sealing it so that there is only a tiny hole for the CO2 to escape would tend to discourage that kind of activity.

I use fermcap in my beer, not sure if it would work in wine or if it would harm it at all.

robie said:
Whether in a bucket or in glass, you don't need an air lock until the SG is about 1.010 or lower. Until then, just put a cloth over the hole to keep critters out.

Thanks Robie

BernardSmith said:
Jjallen, I think that trying to ferment any volume of must in a carboy of the same volume is asking for trouble. You can expect that the CO2 the wine produces will create very large waterfalls of wine. I would always pitch my yeast in a bucket that was at least a gallon or more larger than the volume of must I had prepared for fermentation. And that said, I wouldn't add an airlock to the bucket. In fact I would cover the bucket with a clean towel or dish towel to keep dirt out while allowing me to easy access to the wine to mix air into it several times a day. Securing a lid and sealing it so that there is only a tiny hole for the CO2 to escape would tend to discourage that kind of activity.

Thanks Bernard

E.C. Kraus (and others i'm sure) have an anti foam agent if even the bucket has issues. It works great....

I have never used an anti-foam but have seen it on the market, the ingredients are dimethylpolysiloxane silica, sorbic acid, benzoic acid, stearate emulsifier, alginate emulsifier, and water and I know you only use 1/4 tsp per 5 g of wine but I would wonder if this would change the flavor or mess with your acid or ph. Just curious.

Latest posts

Back