Favorite wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarch68

Junior
Reaction score
Im thinking about heading to walkers saturday to get some juice. Not sure what I wanna get though. Any suggestions? Whats your favorite?

I’ll tell …

I’m a bit of a seasonal drinker, all of them.

In the summer I like a good oaky Chardonnay, light enough for the hot Texas summer nights but with a little body, nothing too fruity. In the fall and spring I will transition from red to white. A Merlot is usually my choice of wine in slightly cool weather. When it gets cold out I break out the big Cabs, bold and a lot of texture and a little spice.

I have no idea how this is going to help you … but that is my list.

Im thinking about heading to walkers saturday to get some juice. Not sure what I wanna get though. Any suggestions? Whats your favorite?

Other than the usual of Fredonia, concord, and niagara which are good for blending, I like Vidal, Steuben, Gewurztraminer, Isabella/blackberry and Raspberry blush to name a few. Oh yeah the Rhubarb is also very good. I am picking up Diamond, Valvin Muscat and possibly Red Raspberry (to blend with Riesling) from Walkers this weekend as Presque Isle did not have these this year.

If I was going to Walker's I would get some Catawba, Niagara or Diamond.

I am trying hard to learn to appreciate all of them. For many years, I was a red wine only guy. As I got deeper into wine drinking then making, I vowed to learn to also appreciate some whites. Even though they are not my favorite, I now enjoy Viogniers, Rieslings, and Gwerts. Still not that big of Pinot Gri or Sav Blanc. I do enjoy a nice Chardonnay now. It is my dream to make a really nice chardonnay someday from fresh grapes.

My favorite reds are Petite Syrah, then Pinot Noir. A good Pinot Noir is so expensive that I seldom drink any, except at wine tastings, because I just don't (won't!) spend that much for a bottle of wine. I find that a good Pinot Noir is $50 and up! I have made some Pinot Noir from kit, but for me they are just not that good.

As a red drinker, who doesn't like a nice Cab, though?

I have never tasted a high quality Madeira, but hope to one day.

Except for a Petite Syrah, I actually prefer blends over straight varietals.

I am not sure I could name a favorite. It is largely dependent on whether or not I am eating something with it. If I am not eating, I like a nice, fresh, fruity white like Riesling or Gewurtztraminer. Whites with food would include Verdicchio or Vernaccia di San Gimignano. For me, I can only enjoy reds with food and I prefer reds. (Could explain being 5'6" and weighing 234 lbs!) I love most Italian reds, starting with Brunello, Amarone and Barolo. I am from southern Italian (Napolitano) stock so most of our meals are built around pasta and tomato sauces with fish, fowl, pork, vegetables, greens, cheeses and a little beef, mostly veal. Damn, I'm making myself hungry. :)

Fruit wines are fun to play with (elderberry & serviceberry turning out very nice) but the wine that keeps whispering my name from the crawlspace is a mid-priced kit SHIRAZ.

I really like a California cab. Recently I am liking the Cabs that are coming out
of Washington State.

Latest posts

Back