F pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
Not really sure how to make one. I have a steam juicer, can I just extract the juice from it and add sugar to it? Will it cloud my wine? If so, how long do I need to let it sit again to clear up? Thanks.

I just read a thread here the other night about someone experimenting with gelatin based home made 'f-pac type flavoring extract' of a sort. I can't find it now to save my life, but I remember they needed a flavor they couldn't find for sale (banana and coconut I think?) Seemed worth trying. Might have clicked my way into an obscure corner of the forum somewhere, but someone should remember where it is. If I remember correctly it involved cooking the flavoring agent with gelatin, freezing it in bags, then squeezing out the solids. I'll try to track it down again after work. Good luck!

Edit: Found it. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/gelatin-filtering-better-f-pac-40136/

Last edited:
Full disclosure, the f-pac body of work >>> gelatin-filtered extract body of work.
My experience has been yes, the f-pac does cloud the wine.
Thanks, tho jilsao, for posting the link.

added 8 cups strawberrys to 1 cup water with 4 cups sugar.
simmered on really low temp for about 1 hour.
strained and put in fridge overnight...i could see sediment in the bottom .
i carefully pulled the clear off and added to carboy..
no clouding....

I have had clouding occur in my wine when I use an f-pack. Best, wait a few weeks to see if it will cloud the wine up before bottling.

What I think I'll try is steam juice some frozen strawberries,mix in my sugar,sweeten to taste and wait a few weeks until it clears. If I have to I'll filter before bottling.

Latest posts

Back